Sweat?

2»

Replies

• sofaking6 wrote: »
    .... the arc trainer is more straight cardio while the stepper uses more muscle since you're fighting gravity?...

More likely they're both pretty arbitrary numbers that aren't really reflective of the energy consumption.

I'm kind of a bit stumped about how to reflect the bit I've quoted though. I can't think of any training where the heart is the only muscle used.

Yeah I dunno, but I have had that same experience where one exercise just makes the sweat pour down while others don't do it so much, even if I might be just as or even more challenged cardio-wise.
  • TR0berts wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I
    Hornsby wrote: »
    That arc trainer number sounds quite a bit inflated.

i put the incline up & level 30 or 35 resistance so it might be wrong but I do put a lot of resistance.

It's almost certainly wrong. These types of machines are infamous for over calculating.
    yup they even admit that they are over by sometimes as much as 50% based on new reports etc busting the makers of these machines.

A lot of different variables go into calculating calorie burns...ie age, weight, gender, fitness level, effort etc...now take into account the age of the machine as well...most machines only allow for age, weight, gender...they are correct for some people but not most.

That really sucks! I was hoping they were accurate so now i dont know what to enter in my excersize diary.. What would you suggest? Cut the calories the machine is telling me In half?

That depends - how have things been going? Have you been losing weight at a rate comparable to what you expect? That assumes, of course, that you are trying to lose weight - if trying to maintain, have you maintained? Or gained at the expected rate?

If your rate of loss/gain or maintenance has been pretty close to expected, keep doing what you're doing. It's working. If your rate is different, then adjust some, as necessary - half of your burn is a good place to start.

Yes I've lost 53.. I always stress things that aren't that important lol! I always want to improve though & I like to learn things
  • I wonder if it's like grade inflation. Maybe they can sell more equipment if they overestimate calories.

Anyway, your logic is fine. More sweat = more body heat = more calories burned (assuming same time and air temperature).