Sweat?

I enter my weight into the "arc trainer" machine I'll burn 500 calories in 30 minutes

I go on the stair master/stepper for 30 minutes & burn 200

I sweat twice as much on the stair stepper than I do on the arc trainer. Why is it I feel more tired after the stairs if I'm not burning as many calories?

Replies

• You might be burning as much on the stepper as the arc. 500 calories in 30 minutes is well beyond an expected burn rate.
  • This is a good question. Maybe it's a different kind of difficult ie the arc trainer is more straight cardio while the stepper uses more muscle since you're fighting gravity? Interesting though - what IS the relationship between sweating and calories burned? Those us of who sweat a lot want to know!!
  • Those machines are bad at guessing calorie burn anyways. Go by how you feel, what your perceived exersion is.
  • sofaking6 wrote: »
    This is a good question. Maybe it's a different kind of difficult ie the arc trainer is more straight cardio while the stepper uses more muscle since you're fighting gravity? Interesting though - what IS the relationship between sweating and calories burned? Those us of who sweat a lot want to know!!

I have no clue but what I do know now is I only sweat on squats and cardio. It also has to do with the amount of weight I have lost in the pass 2 years.
  • That arc trainer number sounds quite a bit inflated.
    This is a good question. Maybe it's a different kind of difficult ie the arc trainer is more straight cardio while the stepper uses more muscle since you're fighting gravity? Interesting though - what IS the relationship between sweating and calories burned? Those us of who sweat a lot want to know!!

There isn't one.

There isn't one.

If you could control for all other factors like temperature and humidity, etc, is there one then?
  • I
    Hornsby wrote: »
    That arc trainer number sounds quite a bit inflated.

i put the incline up & level 30 or 35 resistance so it might be wrong but I do put a lot of resistance.

There isn't one.

That's interesting.. I always thought the more you sweat the more calories you're burning.. Thank you for clearing that up for us :)

There isn't one.

That's interesting.. I always thought the more you sweat the more calories you're burning.. Thank you for clearing that up for us :)

Well he's right though - sitting in a sauna doesn't burn any more calories than sitting in a living room does.

There isn't one.

So that like saying you more calories in a sauna? Nope not really.
  • yopeeps025 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

There isn't one.

Yeaaaah... I'm agreeing with Him...

• I

i put the incline up & level 30 or 35 resistance so it might be wrong but I do put a lot of resistance.

It's almost certainly wrong. These types of machines are infamous for over calculating.
  • yopeeps025 wrote: »

There isn't one.

Sarcasm detectors are apparently malfunctioning en masse lol :)
    .... the arc trainer is more straight cardio while the stepper uses more muscle since you're fighting gravity?...

More likely they're both pretty arbitrary numbers that aren't really reflective of the energy consumption.

I'm kind of a bit stumped about how to reflect the bit I've quoted though. I can't think of any training where the heart is the only muscle used.
  • Hornsby wrote: »
    I

It's almost certainly wrong. These types of machines are infamous for over calculating.
    yup they even admit that they are over by sometimes as much as 50% based on new reports etc busting the makers of these machines.

A lot of different variables go into calculating calorie burns...ie age, weight, gender, fitness level, effort etc...now take into account the age of the machine as well...most machines only allow for age, weight, gender...they are correct for some people but not most.
  • Hornsby wrote: »
    I

Damn! All this time I thought I was doing so good lol
  • SezxyStef wrote: »
    I

yup they even admit that they are over by sometimes as much as 50% based on new reports etc busting the makers of these machines.

A lot of different variables go into calculating calorie burns...ie age, weight, gender, fitness level, effort etc...now take into account the age of the machine as well...most machines only allow for age, weight, gender...they are correct for some people but not most.

That really sucks! I was hoping they were accurate so now i dont know what to enter in my excersize diary.. What would you suggest? Cut the calories the machine is telling me In half?
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

There isn't one.

Sarcasm detectors are apparently malfunctioning en masse lol :)

Hahaha!!
  • SezxyStef wrote: »
    I

That really sucks! I was hoping they were accurate so now i dont know what to enter in my excersize diary.. What would you suggest? Cut the calories the machine is telling me In half?

That depends - how have things been going? Have you been losing weight at a rate comparable to what you expect? That assumes, of course, that you are trying to lose weight - if trying to maintain, have you maintained? Or gained at the expected rate?

If your rate of loss/gain or maintenance has been pretty close to expected, keep doing what you're doing. It's working. If your rate is different, then adjust some, as necessary - half of your burn is a good place to start.