Do any of you have Bipolar or Depression?

Unknown
edited May 2015 in Chit-Chat
What medications are you on, and how does it effect your weight? what is your story?

PS, feel free to add me as a friend if you do :) (or even if you don't)

Replies

• Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Yes, I've been suffering depression since I was 9 years old. ( I think I'm Bipolar type II, but it's never been diagnosed.) Last year around this time I experienced Hypomania and I was on the verge of a psychosis, but that was probably drug induldged. Still very scary though.. So I decided to get back on AD's and asked my P-Doc for help. (I have taken Seroxat and Prozac in the past, they both sucked. I'd say stay away from them, but it's different for everybody of course..) Anyway, currently I'm on Citalopram 40 Mg, Wellbutrin XR 150 Mg and on Diazepam 10 Mg, when needed. I don't think it affected my weight, I've only been on them for about 6 months. The Diazepam gave me munchies when I first started but I don't have those anymore and the Citalopram also made me hungry at first but that's all gone now. The wellbutrin might help with supressing hunger (it's amphetamine related) but I think it has to do with generally feeling better in my life and with myself and also the dieting and working out seems to be a good help against the depression and anxiety. Most days I'm not even hungry and some days I have no appetite at all. Except on days where I do feel depressed, like yesterday kinda. I'm not going to tell what all I've been through here on the public forums but it's been some very heavy and sad things.. (It Involves domestic violence, neglection, abuse, drug addictions and some other painful things I'd rather keep to myself.)
  • few instances i do get depressed its part of life - medication is a 10km run under 60 mins - i feel good
  • I've been on Citalopram for the past 5 weeks and have experienced the same hunger type feeling as Milica above, hence why I'm back on here. I've gained 9lbs in a very short space of time and need to start doing something about it, although the depression doesn't help because I can't seem to get motivated to do anything. Hopefully logging back on here today is the first step.
  • madhu1981 wrote: »
    few instances i do get depressed its part of life - medication is a 10km run under 60 mins - i feel good

well that was an entirely useless post. might have been relevant if OP was asking for some sort of metaphorical answer that does nothing to actually address the main point.

OP: i was briefly on prozac when i was a teenager, i didn't like how it numbed me. i wasn't trying to lose weight back then, but if i had been, i probably would have given up. i had no gumption.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    @pearson114,

Hi, give the Citalopram some more time. It took about 8 - 12 weeks before it really started to take effect on me. In the first weeks I was very tired and hungry and I even got more depressed. Weird thing of AD's is that they almost always worsen the depression and stuff. Hang on, it will get better I promise you. Of course talking about it and searching out for support on the net and IRL always helps, and also working out, I know it's hard to push yourself to do it but once you get going you'll start to enjoy it! :) You can always ask your P-doc to up the dose or add Wellbutrin. (The Citalopram-Wellbutrin combo turned out to work really well for me, Citalopram works on the serotonine receptors and Wellbutrin more on the dopamine receptors, if I'm correct.) It could give you more energy and libido (if that's gotten a problem) But also for the Wellbutrin the first weeks you will feel awful, so take it step by step. Good luck! ;)
  • I've been depressed since childhood, 41 now. I've recently been on Fluoxetine (Prozac) 40mg a day, but they made me hungry all of the time, they affected my sleep and short-term memory and they destroyed my libido - although being single and celibate for two and a half years, I really should start back on them to dull the unrealistic urges!!! That, and the fact that I'm really depressed again.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I was on prozac as well a few years ago. I took myself off it suddenly (which you're not really meant to do) because I did not like the feeling of nothingness... I felt that it wasn't really better than the depression. I don't remember it affecting my weight particularly, but I was overweight anyway.

Things are getting better now though, I have bouts of depression but I do not take medication as I don't want to be dependent on it. I try to ride with my low moods and because it is not very severe they usually pass. Whether or not I would be diagnosed with clinical depression again I don't know, I'm probably borderline in that I can cope without medication, but I am not planning to find out.
  • spyro88 wrote: »
    I was on prozac as well a few years ago. I took myself off it suddenly (which you're not really meant to do) because I did not like the feeling of nothingness... I felt that it wasn't really better than the depression.

Yes, you put it better than I did. I stopped suddenly as well as I couldn't tell if the tablets were working or not, or even contributing to my depression further!

• Bipolar Type 2 here.

Prescription-wise, I'm taking Depakote 1,500mg a day, Wellbutrin 300mg a day, and Propranolol 80mg a day. I also take a prenatal vitamin in the morning as a multivitamin.

I was diagnosed at 17 by my therapist(who was fired from her job quite a few years back, or so I have heard). I'm almost 27 now(this month, the 24th), and I still have my up's and downs. I've been in a funk right now(or so to speak), and I have been quite neglecting my personal stuff.

I had no problem with the Wellbutrin when I was first put on it. Same with the Propranolol. I have been great with the Depakote since when I first was put on it back when I was a teen. I got taken off it and had been experimenting with different mood stabilizers, and have finally fallen back on Depakote. I think though, that if Depakote doesn't do it this time for good, then my shrink will want to put me back on Lithium and give it another go.

Anyone can add me. I'm always up for new friends.
  • I've been on citalopram for about a month, before that I lost a lot of weight. Appetite is nearly back to normal but I haven't started gaining weight back yet. This is actually the first time admitting I'm depressed out side my doc and one friend. I too felt worse after starting the medication but it's slowly getting better. Don't know if it's natural up and down or if the medication is having an effect. I'm doing running and martial arts to help as well.
  • Does anyone have Bipolar?
  • @xstephnz, I do. Probably :D
  • Escitalopram. It hasn't really changed any thing about how I eat but it does let me go to the gym more.
    I was on prozac as well a few years ago. I took myself off it suddenly (which you're not really meant to do) because I did not like the feeling of nothingness... I felt that it wasn't really better than the depression. I don't remember it affecting my weight particularly, but I was overweight anyway.

Things are getting better now though, I have bouts of depression but I do not take medication as I don't want to be dependent on it. I try to ride with my low moods and because it is not very severe they usually pass. Whether or not I would be diagnosed with clinical depression again I don't know, I'm probably borderline in that I can cope without medication, but I am not planning to find out.

I did the same exact thing by taking myself off of it and I can cope with the lows for now. I know that if I get to a certain point I would feel it and have to go back on some type of meds. I lost a lot of weight before I was diagnosed though, I was told not to lose anymore and looked pretty sick. I had quiet a few 600 or less calorie days because I was too depressed to even make food let alone eat it. The Prozac didn't help with having an appetite and it wasn't until I was off it for a while that I gained back weight.
  • I have depression and am on Sertraline (Zoloft). I don't experience any increased hunger on it but I'm pretty sure I did when I was on Prozac (hard to remember since it was 3 years and many meds ago!). Citalopram and mirtazapine were both fine for hunger as well I think.

I quit mirtazapine cold turkey and it was HELL. Prozac is usually fine to quit as it has such a long half life though. Wouldn't really recommend quitting any meds cold turkey though.

Also, there's nothing wrong with being dependent on medication. Diabetics are dependent on insulin to cope with their condition, we can be dependent on ADs to cope with ours.
  • sculptcha wrote: »
    madhu1981 wrote: »
    few instances i do get depressed its part of life - medication is a 10km run under 60 mins - i feel good

well that was an entirely useless post. might have been relevant if OP was asking for some sort of metaphorical answer that does nothing to actually address the main point.

OP: i was briefly on prozac when i was a teenager, i didn't like how it numbed me. i wasn't trying to lose weight back then, but if i had been, i probably would have given up. i had no gumption.

How is your post any more useful than the other? OP should talk to a doctor about medication for bipolar disorder and depression. There are many different types of depression.

madhu addressed two of her questions in the OP:
    Do any of you have Bipolar or Depression? few instances i do get depressed its part of life
    What medications are you on? medication is a 10km run under 60 mins

• How is your post any more useful than the other? OP should talk to a doctor about medication for bipolar disorder and depression. There are many different types of depression.

Do any of you have Bipolar or Depression? few instances i do get depressed its part of life

Because she was asking about medications (most likely antidepressants) and how they affected people's weights. madhu isn't on any.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015

How is your post any more useful than the other? OP should talk to a doctor about medication for bipolar disorder and depression. There are many different types of depression.

Because she was asking about medications (most likely antidepressants) and how they affected people's weights. madhu isn't on any.

Exercising is a form of medication for depression. So if she wants to be a little more specific in her post, then we can all be sure that she's referring to antidepressants. Until then, madhu has a great medication for depression and was right to share.

• How is your post any more useful than the other? OP should talk to a doctor about medication for bipolar disorder and depression. There are many different types of depression.

Exercising is a form of medication for depression. So if she wants to be a little more specific in her post, then we can all be sure that she's referring to antidepressants. Until then, madhu has a great medication for depression and was right to share.

No it's not. It can be a form of therapy but not medication.