Eating and dieting while on 'vacation'.

I'm nervous. In multiple ways. My husband and I are driving 12 hours to go see his mother for the first time in I think 7 years. I've never met her, just because she lives so far away. They're a spanish family, and he says his mom can cook healthy, I'm just sure shes going to make comfort foods while were there. I'm just afraid I'm going to come home and find out I undid all my hard work with just a week away from home. I guess I'm just asking for tips or advice on how to handle being away from home, and mostly eating home cooked meals that I have no idea whats in them. Help??

Replies

• Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Enjoy your vacation, and eat the foodz. You would really.....really....really have to go berserk to undo any hard work in a week.

My last 7 day cruise I went on, I got up, put in 30 of exercise, ate whatever I wanted, drank even more and gained 8lbs. That would be 8lbs of water. When I weighed in 4 days after getting home and being back on my normal diet and exercise routine that 8lbs was gone.
  • you won't gain 10lbs in one week.

But it is vacation...last time I went on vacation (actual vacation) I didn't log, ate what I wanted in the quantity I wanted (we were at a resort tho)

But since you will be at your in laws just eat what she cooks in reasonable portions and log it using your phone app.

• Pretty sure calories don't count on vacation. :smile:
  • Enjoy your vacation. Just eat reasonably and don't over eat. I think we all know when we're over doing it, just don't.
  • RGv2 wrote: »
    Enjoy your vacation, and eat the foodz. You would really.....really....really have to go berserk to undo any hard work in a week.

My last 7 day cruise I went on, I got up, put in 30 of exercise, ate whatever I wanted, drank even more and gained 8lbs. That would be 8lbs of water. When I weighed in 4 days after getting home and being back on my normal diet and exercise routine that 8lbs was gone.

Not really. It's math. One pound for 3500 calories. It's actually very easy to undo one month of progress by 'eating all the foodz' (well, especially if you drink too).

OP, just be mindful of your choices... eat a lot of veggies, only have a bit of the calorie-dense stuff, try to stay active.
  • Thank you guys. I wasn't planning on pigging out or anything, but I want to be able to relax. Hopefully I've prepared myself for portioning my food out correctly without using my scale lol. I think I'll be okay but going to cross my fingers that I dont gain so much back when I come back. :tongue:
  • Just be gracious and watch your portions. Be firm if she tries to push more food on you and try to fill your plate with vegetables and protein and go easy on the bread products, sauces, fried stuff, etc.

You said "Spanish" so I don't know where they're from, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how healthy a lot of Latin American food is. Lots of vegetables and legumes and grilled meats in many countries/regions. Or if they're from Spain, that's awesome too because Mediterranean food is also heavy on the fresh produce, fish, and simple preparations. I never ate so well and so reasonably in my life as when I lived in Spain.
  • peleroja wrote: »
    Just be gracious and watch your portions. Be firm if she tries to push more food on you and try to fill your plate with vegetables and protein and go easy on the bread products, sauces, fried stuff, etc.

You said "Spanish" so I don't know where they're from, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how healthy a lot of Latin American food is. Lots of vegetables and legumes and grilled meats in many countries/regions. Or if they're from Spain, that's awesome too because Mediterranean food is also heavy on the fresh produce, fish, and simple preparations. I never ate so well and so reasonably in my life as when I lived in Spain.

They're puerto rican. Yeah he said they always ate relatively healthy growing up so I dont think it'll be super unhealthy foods, like nothing fried or anything like that.

• Francl27 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

Not really. It's math. One pound for 3500 calories. It's actually very easy to undo one month of progress by 'eating all the foodz' (well, especially if you drink too).

OP, just be mindful of your choices... eat a lot of veggies, only have a bit of the calorie-dense stuff, try to stay active.

Thanks for letting me know it's math....I totally wasn't aware. Oh, and yes 3500 calories is 1lb. It also takes eating 3500 calories over maintenance to gain said pound.

If op is putting in the work before leaving, and returns to that lifestyle when they get back, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Enjoy your vacation. I thinking like you before I went on my cruise two weeks. I decided that I was going to enjoy myself and the experience and as long as I went back to my diet and exercise it would be okay. When I came back I had gained about 7 pound but, within a few days of going back to my routine the pounds are coming back off .
  • peleroja wrote: »
    Just be gracious and watch your portions. Be firm if she tries to push more food on you and try to fill your plate with vegetables and protein and go easy on the bread products, sauces, fried stuff, etc.

They're puerto rican. Yeah he said they always ate relatively healthy growing up so I dont think it'll be super unhealthy foods, like nothing fried or anything like that.

Oh yeah...Puerto Ricans eat GOOD food. Just sayin... ;)
  • I just came back from a 5 day beach vacation. Walked or biked every day - ate whatever (no logging, no weighing, etc) and I stayed the same weight. I had transitioned to maintenance about 3 weeks before we left (and had issues eating that much), so I guess my body adapted to all the food and no gains happened.

I wouldn't worry too much.