Struggling with sodium and sugar!

2»

Replies

• mccindy72 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar? If no, then there is no reason to avoid sugar….

My mom has diabetes that she got later in life due to high sugar intake as did her mom. I don't want to let myself get to that point. And my dad has high blood pressure. Even though I don't suffer these afflictions currently I don't think it's wise to ignore my intake of substances that increase my risk for these conditions.

if you eat in a deficit and maintain a healthy weight then you should not be at risk for getting diabetes…you don't have to restrict sugar. I probably eat 100 grams of added sugar a day and my blood work is nearly perfect every year...

Yeah, that's true. My mom and grandma were both obese when they got diabetes. I'm nowhere near that point.

yep, hes' definitely right. Keep yourself on the right track and you should be fine. you can find a good yogurt maker on amazon for about $30, by the way. Easy directions come with it. :wink:

About to hit the hay. However, I saw this... that's not true at all.

Obesity and Type II diabetes are mutually exclusive.

To help you on your search - https://www.google.com/search?q=can+thin+people+get+type+II+diabetes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I know it's the Internet - you can get all that information through medical sites as well. Very discouraging to see people write that someone only has to be obese to get Type II diabetes. I know many people who are not obese and have it.

Good night.
    do you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar? If no, then there is no reason to avoid sugar….

My mom has diabetes that she got later in life due to high sugar intake as did her mom. I don't want to let myself get to that point. And my dad has high blood pressure. Even though I don't suffer these afflictions currently I don't think it's wise to ignore my intake of substances that increase my risk for these conditions.

if you eat in a deficit and maintain a healthy weight then you should not be at risk for getting diabetes…you don't have to restrict sugar. I probably eat 100 grams of added sugar a day and my blood work is nearly perfect every year...

Yeah, that's true. My mom and grandma were both obese when they got diabetes. I'm nowhere near that point.

yep, hes' definitely right. Keep yourself on the right track and you should be fine. you can find a good yogurt maker on amazon for about $30, by the way. Easy directions come with it. :wink:

To help you on your search - https://www.google.com/search?q=can+thin+people+get+type+II+diabetes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I know it's the Internet - you can get all that information through medical sites as well. Very discouraging to see people write that someone only has to be obese to get Type II diabetes. I know many people who are not obese and have it.

Good night.

oh for Pete's sake. It's not just about obesity. it's also about eating in moderation and avoiding a lot of other foods, which if he'd read everything else, he'd have seen I advised above.

Good night.

I know there are different types of diabetes and I'm not sure which type they have/had (my grandma died). I just know they were both diagnosed after years of obesity and high sugar intake. My mom keeps saying if she can get her weight down she can get rid of it, but I don't know too much about it. She is a nurse but she might just be going off of feelings rather than facts. Not too sure.
  • ndj1979 wrote: »

This is the smart thing to do. :smiley:
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Double posted...
  • Thanks toadhunter. I think so too. Just trying to find ways to make that happen.
  • Lots of veggies and fruits helps. We eat not enough of them! Foods pyramid doesnt incorporate enough of it.
  • kimondo666 wrote: »
    Lots of veggies and fruits helps. We eat not enough of them! Foods pyramid doesnt incorporate enough of it.

So true. I wonder about the validity of the food pyramid.