From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Unknown
edited May 2015 in Success Stories
Hello MFPers!

I am 33 years old and 5'3". I started this difficult journey in Jan of 2014 at 205lbs and I had JUST hit a size 20!!! In Dec 2014, I got down to a size 8 and around 135lbs! I feel great and am loving who I am becoming now! I'm learning a TON and meeting a lot of great people in the process.

I came across MFP in June of last year. I have kept a moderate calorie deficit pretty consistently (500 or so each day), with my carbs and protein around 100g each while lifting weights regularly (in my home with my own collected equipment), 5-6 times/week. I didn't do much cardio, as I don't enjoy it. I do run on occasion though. I feel empowered now and I absolutely LOVE strength training! Planning to take new progress pics at the end of June so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Here is my story so far on realbodiesrealresults.com. Feel free to check it out! :blush:
realbodiesrealresults.com/gen.html

Best wishes to you all, anything is possible if you don't give up! :heart:

fdfm4zk13syy.jpg

ofn9eb5b3li7.jpg

3thg10dkzn4h.jpg

mcs7xhgcpcti.jpg

jrkoda9hxmgh.png
dum6683wmsay.jpg

Replies

• Amazing and just the kind of motivation I needed today. Congrats you look great.
  • codycsweet wrote: »
    Amazing and just the kind of motivation I needed today. Congrats you look great.

Thank you, it means a lot to know that it inspired you! Keep at it, one day at a time. :blush:
  • You look amazing, thanks for sharing your routine with us.
  • I'm so jealous. I try to do this and i just don't lose. Would love to add you so i can learn from you. I lift 5 days a week and the weight doesn't come off. Working on my diet
  • I REALLY REALLY REALLY needed this today. I just started back on MFP. Its been a roller coaster for me with the starting and stopping, starting and not seeing results and stopping again. I have finally learned that I need to cut my carbs (My body just responds better to lower carbs) and my calories too, but I haven't been sure what to do for exercise. I am also sedentary due to the type of job I do. I have been reading more lately about the benefits of less cardio and more weights...you SEALED THE DEAL for me. I know nothing about weight training, but I am going to learn now. You've really inspired me and given me a place to start. Thank you so much for sharing. :)
  • You look awesome! Results like this are one of the reasons I try to incorporate weights into my routine.
  • you look so beautiful. Awesome job.
  • Wow! Such amazing results. You look incredible. Good for you. Wish I could have as much will power as you.
  • Wow, you look incredible! Well done! :)
  • You are pure awesomeness!!! Thanks so much for posting. You've given me more hope and motivation on what can be!
  • One of my favorite success stories! Nice work!
  • Thank you all so much. Weight lifting has been my go to for results, stress relief and so much more! :blush:

Never doubt yourself! I would've never thought I could've done this and I certainly couldn't foresee it at first (which was part of the challenge to stick with it) but I knew somewhere deep down that I could do this and that I was actually no different from anyone else who already had.... I just needed to keep accumulating good food days, staying within calorie range, meeting macro goals, and continuing to lift, no matter what, while telling myself every single day that it WILL work if I don't quit.

People called me selfish, obsessed, annoying and many other things during my journey. There were many times where people were less than encouraging or supportive then I expected, but it's my life, not theirs.... If you persevere, never give up and do it right (the healthy way), you'll hear those things too so get ready. It's not easy because people sometimes do not understand but you must do it for you and press on, regardless of what family, friends or whoever else, might say about it... :heart:
  • Wow you've done an amazing job! You look great!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    TXRedDirt wrote: »
    One of my favorite success stories! Nice work!

Yay! Thank you, lol :smiley:

And thank you as well, RoseBud244!
  • congrats
  • Just when I was on the brink of wanting to quit, I read your story. Thank you so much for putting yourself out there for people like me who feel like they have no hope and no more motivation to keep going!! You definitely gave me the motivation to keep going!. You look amazing! I started out at 205 as well and I am now 149. My lowest was 132, but I was not eating due to immense amounts of stress last summer. Well I started eating again and gained that weight back and only managed to lose 3 pounds of the 20 I gained over last summer and fall. I love strength training and like you I workout in my own home with acquired weights. Even bought a pull up bar. I can't do one yet, But I will be working towards doing a full pull up. Thank you for your story and motivation!
  • Look at those muscles! WOW!!! Nice job. :smiley:
  • Gen, thank you so much for the shout out to my website. Your story was incredible and really brought a lot of value to both the site and your "fans" on MFP. In fact, you are my #1 story so far!

I've read through this post and saw that a number of people are interested in hearing more detail about your transformation, routine, etc. That's exactly the response that I was hoping for when I first contacted you. If you are up for it, I'd love for you to write another story that goes into more detail regarding your diet and routine. I'm sure the readers here would appreciate it as well.

Also, I need to get your husbands story too! I didn't realize that both of you had such great success! Ask him if he would be interested please.

Its the stories of people like you and him that provide the inspiration for us all to keep on the path.
  • You look great, thanks for the inspiration!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    terizius wrote: »
    Gen, thank you so much for the shout out to my website. Your story was incredible and really brought a lot of value to both the site and your "fans" on MFP. In fact, you are my #1 story so far!

I've read through this post and saw that a number of people are interested in hearing more detail about your transformation, routine, etc. That's exactly the response that I was hoping for when I first contacted you. If you are up for it, I'd love for you to write another story that goes into more detail regarding your diet and routine. I'm sure the readers here would appreciate it as well.

Also, I need to get your husbands story too! I didn't realize that both of you had such great success! Ask him if he would be interested please.

Its the stories of people like you and him that provide the inspiration for us all to keep on the path.

I missed the reference to your website. If Gen doesn't mind, could you please re-reference it, or PM me? I'm curious. I do a workout with a kettlebell now, and have gained back some weight (about seven pounds from my profile picture) from eating too much and too much of the wrong food. I am interested in increasing the weight I lift, so I ordered a bigger kettlebell. I'm going from 15 to 20 pounds. I'm interested in what your website says so I can gain even more inspiration and get my head in the right place to eat right.

Gen, thank you so much for posting your story, including the wonderful pictures. You were beautiful before, but now you really shine. Congratulations on your effort and on the results.