Female Bulking Advice Needed

First a little background. I’m a 46 year old mother of three. In mid-June, I started lifting weights with good results. I was able to take my body fat from 24% to about 18%. Now that I can see what I have to work with, I want to bulk (focus on adding muscle mass).

My plan is to gradually increase my calories from 200-300 below TDEE which is where I’ve been the last month, to TDEE, then eventually ~200 over TDEE. Increasing my daily calories by about 150-200 a week at a time. I’ve not been able to find much about bulking for women. I don’t think it’s much different than men, but I’m not sure. So any advice would be appreciated.

I plan to continue my strength routine which is a full body routine done four times a week based off of the Strong Curves and Starting Strength Programs. Basically it’s all the compound exercises of SS with some of the glute specific exercises of SC.

My macros are 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I practice 14/10 intermittent fasting, and my diet is pretty clean by choice. I plan to start taking a casein protein powder at night, and also start taking creatine. Any other recommendations or advice will be greatly appreciated. I’m particularly curious about cardio and any tips for minimizing fat gain. Fat burners are something I’m curious about, but I don’t want to mess up my metabolism.

I’m attaching photos taken in the last few days to show where I am now. Thank you in advance.

w8VnOdml.jpg

xLRop4Ql.jpg

kv0zyAJl.jpg

QMPurAsl.jpg

6QQJmBEl.jpg

Replies

• Holy bat cave you've built some booty! Good to have you back!

Hey girl, it's good to see you again. Wow, you are looking amazing!

I'm trying to get back into a consistent routine but it's been tough. I took measurements today hoping that will get me fired up and accountable.

How have you been? What goals are you working on?
  • Hi barbell girl :) amazing progress, your my inspiration.

Seeing your original post made me really try to knuckle down and get to where you are now. I started off looking much like you did in your first starting post and have the same body type.

Unfortunately for me I am not doing something right :( I haven't made anywhere near the progress you have!!! I am lifting 4 days a week. Progressive overload is what I am currently concentrating on, and I am getting stronger but not really seeing much change.

Can you tell me what your calories and activity level look like please? How long has it taken you from start till now??

Thanks

And again you look awesome!!!!

• Daisy253 wrote: »
    Hi barbell girl :) amazing progress, your my inspiration.

Seeing your original post made me really try to knuckle down and get to where you are now. I started off looking much like you did in your first starting post and have the same body type.

Unfortunately for me I am not doing something right :( I haven't made anywhere near the progress you have!!! I am lifting 4 days a week. Progressive overload is what I am currently concentrating on, and I am getting stronger but not really seeing much change.

Can you tell me what your calories and activity level look like please? How long has it taken you from start till now??

Thanks

And again you look awesome!!!!

Hi Daisy. I started lifting weights in late June 2013. I workout at home, but during my 13 weeks of contest prep last year I was in the gym 3-4 days a week.

I lift 3-4 days a week and do minimal cardio right now since I'm trying to gain again. I just started tracking again and I aim for at least 1900 calories though I often hit 2,100. I'll see how this month goes with my weight and body fat, and increase my calories if I need to.

Progressive overload is really the key to building muscle. I also like to mix things up with rep ranges. Some days lifting very heavy (3-5 reps), medium weight (6-10 reps) and lighter (10+ reps). I also switch the exercises I do so I don't get bored. Be sure to mix in some explosive work like plyometrics or sprinting. Stretch well, and also rest and recover. You also have to eat a good number of calories or you'll be wasting your efforts from my experience.

Hey girl, it's good to see you again. Wow, you are looking amazing!

I'm trying to get back into a consistent routine but it's been tough. I took measurements today hoping that will get me fired up and accountable.

How have you been? What goals are you working on?

I'm 3lbs up from that picture, and have been taking it a little easier on all fronts and slightly struggling with comfort eating the past few months (for a good cause but now I'm back on track).

On a slow cut and still holding onto the muscle I gained 18 months ago which is good. Trying also to get my speed back on bike run swim in time for triathlon in August. Trying hard not to party too much with my fun friends.

It's hard work but I'm holding it together despite life trying to get in the way!
  • Thank you :)

Seems I am on the right path then.

Our stories are similar, I can only workout from home but have a pt once a month to keep on top of my form.

Been lifting since jan 2014 so a yr less than You, hoping one yr gets me to where you are today.

I do add different lifts to keep it interesting and change the rep ranges, currently I am liking 10,8,6,15
    Currently eating 1850 but not gaining so will up cals again soon, my cardio is walking about 4hrs a week so not really "cardio" as such.

Looking forward to when I can post before/after photos :)