Losing Muscle! Need food help!!!

I have been going to the gym for a little over a year and I saw some great results. I was always very petite but when I hit my 30s the weight didn't come off like it used to. Now, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to gain muscle. I want to ask for a little outside help.
My TDEE is roughly 1600. I'm 5'1. When I started a year ago, I was 113 lbs, 29% body fat, 42% muscle mass. and I was taking in 1800 with 135g protein. I was at a good 103 lbs, 43.7% MM, and 19.6 BF in Nov., but now I'm down to a scary 100 lbs, 42.3 MM, and 20.5 BF. I had to switch protein powders (muscle milk), because it was too high in fat (12g). My fat macro was always 10% higher than it should. I actually lost muscle and gained fat.
I go to the gym 3-4xs a week and focus on 1-2 muscle groups at a time. I used to run 3 miles a few times a week, but had to give that up as my weight dropped. I love lifting!! It gives me such an amazing feeling when I'm done, but The eating has been THE biggest dufficulty for me!
Now, i'm trying to take in 2,100-2,200 calories. What do I eat that's high in protein and calories, but low in fat??
Please please help!!!

Replies

• If you have been training hard and eating well it's extremely unlikely that you've lost muscle mass. Your measurement method is probably inaccurate.

Having said that, high in calories and protein but not in fat is tricky. Fat is the densest macro and thus the easiest way to achieve higher calories. Maybe open your diary so it can be looked at? You'd have to look at your total daily/weekly intake to get a better idea.

Having said that, any kind of meat, egg, dairy product is going to be high in protein but without fat content it's not gonna have a ton of calories overall. You'll have to supplement more calories via carbs if you don't want to add fats. Anything like corn, potatoes, cereal grains, oatmeal, beans, rice, are all easy and carb-heavy choices.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I'm also going to take a guess and say your TDEE is much higher than 1600 if you're going to the gym 3-4x per week
  • My gym has an InBody Comprehensive Analysis scale. It measures all 3 as well as where you're gaining/losing (arms, legs, trunk...).
    Also, My TDEE could very well be wrong. I know my BMR is 1155.
    I'm trying to avoid fats because That's what sets me over first. It's so frustrating!
    I opened my diary. I'm not always diligent. Don't judge!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Try setting your macros to 30% protein, 45-50% carbs and 20-25% fat. You need to start being diligent in logging your calories. Start with 2200 calories like you're doing. Eat back your cardio calories if you're doing cardio.

You need a proven weight training program. What are you doing now exactly? Progressive overload builds muscle, not that high rep junk. Start training for strength.

Progressive overload + calorie surplus = more muscle.

Track your weight every day. If you're not gaining any weight after a week or two then you need to up your calories.
  • I'm also going to take a guess and say your TDEE is much higher than 1600 if you're going to the gym 3-4x per week

Agreed.

Looking at your diary it looks like an average of about 1700-1800 a day (for the days logged) which is clearly too little if you keep losing weight. You've clearly already identified this, your new goal of 2000+ looks right on track if you want to stop losing weight.

I looked at your macros and most days you're very close to your goals. I'm not sure where you're seeing a problem? The only thing I really noticed is that your protein goal is really high. You used to be around 135g, which you regularly exceeded. Now it looks like you're trying to take in even more? Last few days you've been around 160-180g and today you had nearly 250g of protein. For a 5'1" 100lb woman that is crazy high. I'm a 6'3" 230lb man who lifts very heavy 4x a week and I don't even get that much protein.

The point that I'm trying to make is, maybe adjust your macros to something a little more realistic? As a petite woman I'd say a goal of 100g/day, given your activity level, is more than enough. You could even go a little lower if you wanted, especially if you're not trying to lose weight (protein needs are higher when cutting weight). 75-100g range is probably fine. Add the leftover calories to carbs and fats.

Having said that, high protein intake isn't necessarily a problem, it's just not really needed. And it gets really tedious (and expensive) eating that much every day when you don't really need to. Given that you say that you're struggling to reach this potentially excessive goal, I'd really recommend just rearranging your macro goals.