From Couch Potatoe to Lifting??

I haven't worked out in like 3 years so decided this was the year to get back into shape. I'm tired of watching the scale, so decided to focus on building muscle and watching fat %.
A co-worker body building told me to "build up my heart" before jumping into weight training.
Does that mean I need to do tons of cardio for awhile first, or can I do strength training for a month and then start weight lifting?
I've also started changing my diet to high protein/low carbs to get ready for weight lifting.

Replies

• Start lifting yesterday.
  • PACO1481 wrote: »
    I haven't worked out in like 3 years so decided this was the year to get back into shape. I'm tired of watching the scale, so decided to focus on building muscle and watching fat %.
    A co-worker body building told me to "build up my heart" before jumping into weight training.
    Does that mean I need to do tons of cardio for awhile first, or can I do strength training for a month and then start weight lifting?

Barring injuries or some other physical limitation, there's no need to prep. Find a good program (or get with a trainer that will actually teach you what you want) and start light, building up as you go. Your heart will get stronger along with the rest of your body.

I've also started changing my diet to high protein/low carbs to get ready for weight lifting.

That may not be a great idea - when lifting weights, you'll probably want carbs for energy. For now, if you're not doing any strength training? No biggie. But when you start, as I mentioned, you'll probably want to not be "low carb." As usual, it's an individual thing, so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.
  • Woohoo! thanks!
    One more question...
    I love doing "Curves" circuit training (don't laugh! LOL), but need to know if I should do lifting on same days as Curves. I know I need to rest some days from lifting, so trying to figure out when I can do different things.
  • PACO1481 wrote: »
    Woohoo! thanks!
    One more question...
    I love doing "Curves" circuit training (don't laugh! LOL), but need to know if I should do lifting on same days as Curves. I know I need to rest some days from lifting, so trying to figure out when I can do different things.

That depends on what lifting program you are following etc. Goals.

If you are heavy lifting I say no not for a little while...but evenutaly yes.
  • Here is the beginner lifting program I was going to try, but don't know how much weight yet. Assuming I will start out low so I can be sure to get the correct form down first.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0