Way too much sugar?

Hi there! I had a question regarding sugar content. I eat a lot of fruit and even though I have not eaten many "Empty calorie" sugar such as candy, my sugar level is maxed out daily. Should I be counting the sugar in fruit towards my total, or is there a way to distinguish this difference?
Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Here's a great sugar faq that should answer all of your questions -- including how to change your goals if that's what you want to do. :smile:

So what's with this Sugar then?
  • If you have no health concerns that require you to control your sugar intake, you shouldn't have to worry about it. I don't even track mine - I track fiber instead. Stay within your calorie goals and hit your protein/fat targets, and you'll do just fine.
  • Thank you both! I was wondering if I should just track fiber instead of sugar. As long as I am within my carbs, I should be ok, right?
  • Thank you both! I was wondering if I should just track fiber instead of sugar. As long as I am within my carbs, I should be ok, right?

Yep! MFP's sugar recommendation is really low, anyway, and doesn't differentiate between sugar in fruit/dairy/etc. and added sugars. Just ignore it, unless you are diabetic.
  • I don't worry much about sugars consumed from fruit other than to note that dried cranberries are quite carb dense. It's kinda easy to forget that while munching on them. I usually use them for flavour not as a fruit.

• Awesome! Thanks so much! I hated seeing red every day!!!!
  • In my opinion I definitely would be counting the sugar. I mean don't obsess about it but be conscious of it. It's still sugar even though it's from fruit. Meaning if over consumed it can be stored it glycogen (fat). I've seen this all too much with people, thinking that because I'm eating fruit and it's "healthy sugar" it's okay. Yes it is, but like with anything keeping a mindful manner of quantity is important. Sugar is where you'll gain weight and lose weight the most, it's more important to be hitting your calorie goal, so if you're trying to lose weight being in a deficit. Just my thoughts thoughts from personal experience and nutrition classes in college :)
  • gparfitt09 wrote: »
    In my opinion I definitely would be counting the sugar. I mean don't obsess about it but be conscious of it. It's still sugar even though it's from fruit. Meaning if over consumed it can be stored it glycogen (fat). I've seen this all too much with people, thinking that because I'm eating fruit and it's "healthy sugar" it's okay. Yes it is, but like with anything keeping a mindful manner of quantity is important. Sugar is where you'll gain weight and lose weight the most, it's more important to be hitting your calorie goal, so if you're trying to lose weight being in a deficit. Just my thoughts thoughts from personal experience and nutrition classes in college :)
    Time for more nutrition classes.