Did I do it correctly? how would I know?

OK, so after various video watching last on how to perform the deadlift with good form and learning all about the hip hinge and practising this too last night (with my 4 year old who manages to do it so perfectly!!)......

I reviewed lots of images of leg/hip/back position when doing the deadlift, I watched Mark Ripptoe's videos too which were sooo helpful.

When I was practising the Hip hinge where you stand 6 inches from the wall and push your hips back until you touch the wall I felt the pull (not a bad pull at all, more of a " getting ready" pull) in my hams/calves - is this normal? I ask because when being shown the deadlift with the PT I didnt get this at all from my hams/calves!

So, today, albeit a little nervous about doing it myself, off I popped to the gym, I got myself in position and again felt my calves/hams getting ready when I bracing myself for the lift and I did the deadlift, no twinges in back (lower or higher), no "bad" pulls in arms/legs, I kept my eye contact on the floor (so neck was in line with spine) and didnt look up until I came up from the deadlift!

I felt very proud of myself but my question is....how would I know if I hadn't done it correctly?

I've also got the Starting Strength book on order as I've read that this a really good book!

Thanks, Kel

Replies

• You'd have to post a video so we might be able to critique your form.
  • Video is pretty much the only way you'll be able to confirm.

I personally video regularly- I try to do it weekly- but sometimes it's every other week- depends on how I'm feeling- how much time I have- what my lifts are and honestly if the gym is to busy or not.

But you won't know till someone either TELLS you- or you can critique for yourself- it's technical stuff- there is not "Ah HA i've got it I'm done"

It's a never ending process of constantly adjusting to get the most from your lifting.
  • You'd have to post a video so we might be able to critique your form.

Yup
  • I was about to suggest the Rippetoe vids and books, but you're already ahead of the game. They were essential for me when I started seriously to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself.

You could always ask a trainer at the gym or someone you see that is deadlifting with good form. That might be a good start until you record a video.
  • A little stretch in the legs is fine unless it's really uncomfortable then you may want to bend your knees a little bit more. You don't want your legs straight, something like a quarter squat is ideal.

Don't forget to warm up properly, that's really important.

Agree with the others on a video.