Tips for a beginner

Hey guys could anybody just add me up and suggest a few settings and goals I should set to gain weight and muscle as I have started training for two weeks and I'm staring to train harder I also want to gain weight as I'm seeing no weight change however I'm seeing definite gains???

Replies

• There will be a fuzzy period where you're losing fat but gaining muscle so it balances out for a while, then you should see an increase in weight based on muscle. I haven't trained a day in my life so I can't tell you when, I'm just one of those people that has random pieces of knowledge. :) If it was me, I'd read Arnold Schwarzenegger's book again and follow his advice. It's a great book generally and if anyone knows about body building, it's Arnold!
  • True #Arnoldknowsbest and thanks for the advice I got to a stage where I've lost weight and gained small amounts of muscle now I'm looking to eat over 3000 calories a day and consume up to 140 grams of protien dayliy although this app doesn't let you consume that much :/
  • are you following a structure lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, etc?

what do you mean by "this app does not let you consume that much"????
  • Two weeks is no time at all so be patient. The first thing you should do is figure out your maintenance requirements and then start adding 100 per day each week till you start making the progress you want to see.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    OP: To change your macronutrients in MFP, go to "Goals==>Daily Nutrition Goals==>Edit;" then edit your macro goals as you wish. Hope that helps.
  • ndj1979 wrote: »
    are you following a structure lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, etc?

what do you mean by "this app does not let you consume that much"????

I am lifting in sets and not high level of weights just a decent amount to feel burn I work out for a while and I usually target the right muscle when training I'm feeling things how they should be, let's say I have seen improvements and I'm just now looking to progress for the future in so motivated and dedicated at the moment I know I need to be patient just wondering what I need to do to stay consistent and start to lift heavier?
  • than
    G8rRay wrote: »
    OP: To change your macronutrients in MFP, go to "Goals==>Daily Nutrition Goals==>Edit;" then edit your macro goals as you wish. Hope that helps.

Yeah thanks buddy I have changed it to how I am wanting to achieve my daily goals to build muscle!!
  • Two weeks is no time at all so be patient. The first thing you should do is figure out your maintenance requirements and then start adding 100 per day each week till you start making the progress you want to see.

Makes sense things don't change overnight :-) I'm using creatine dayly 5grams and around two shakes at 40 grams a shake a day also consuming over 130 grams of protein a day to build enough muscle, I'm just very curious of the outcome any tips to work harder and lift heavier or lighter but more reps.. I.e increasing my workout?
  • DanThomass wrote: »
    Two weeks is no time at all so be patient. The first thing you should do is figure out your maintenance requirements and then start adding 100 per day each week till you start making the progress you want to see.

Makes sense things don't change overnight :-) I'm using creatine dayly 5grams and around two shakes at 40 grams a shake a day also consuming over 130 grams of protein a day to build enough muscle, I'm just very curious of the outcome any tips to work harder and lift heavier or lighter but more reps.. I.e increasing my workout?

First thing I'm noticing is that you are way to reliant on supliments for protein since you are getting nearly 2/3 of your protein from shakes. This means your diet isn't dialed in yet and you need to address that issue. Supliments should be just that and with only 130g of protein a day you should be able to get that from diet alone so look for better sources of protein is my first recommendation.

It sounds like you are a novice lifter so scrap the bodybuilder, isolation, feel the burn stuff. You should be concentrating on heavy compound lifts in low to mid rep ranges (3-8) to build strength and muscle right now. Look for a good novice strength program like Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting. After a year or two of solid lifting you can start thinking about the BB style workouts to bring up weakness.

Two weeks is no time at all so be patient. The first thing you should do is figure out your maintenance requirements and then start adding 100 per day each week till you start making the progress you want to see.

First thing I'm noticing is that you are way to reliant on supliments for protein since you are getting nearly 2/3 of your protein from shakes. This means your diet isn't dialed in yet and you need to address that issue. Supliments should be just that and with only 130g of protein a day you should be able to get that from diet alone so look for better sources of protein is my first recommendation.

It sounds like you are a novice lifter so scrap the bodybuilder, isolation, feel the burn stuff. You should be concentrating on heavy compound lifts in low to mid rep ranges (3-8) to build strength and muscle right now. Look for a good novice strength program like Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting. After a year or two of solid lifting you can start thinking about the BB style workouts to bring up weakness.

cosign
  • Makes a
    DanThomass wrote: »

makes a lot of sense I get really good sources of protien in my meals my diet is ace it's just the exersice that I do I shall take your advice I will look into them kinds of training programs and work at that level :-)
    Makes a
    DanThomass wrote: »

makes a lot of sense I get really good sources of protien in my meals my diet is ace it's just the exersice that I do I shall take your advice I will look into them kinds of training programs and work at that level :-)

If I'm seeing improvements should I keep doing what I'm doing!