Working out with an injury.

I have tarsal tunnel in my left foot. My last resort to fix the problem is through surgery. Surgery that has a 20% chance of helping. I know that losing weight will help. It may not totally fix it, but it will help. I am only just starting on my weight loss journey. I lost 100lbs 4 years ago but regained it all because of this injury. I used to walk 11 miles a day, but now I can barely walk through the grocery store without being in immense pain afterwards.

Basically, I am looking for exercises that I can do, at home, that will be beneficial, but not further injury my foot. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? I am completely desperate. I do not want to be one of those people that has to resort to surgery to lose weight when I know I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself. Don't get me wrong, some people really need the surgery. However, I have lost it before. I know I have it in me, I'm just having to approach it differently this time. The last time I lost a great deal of weight I only allowed myself to eat 1000 calories per day and I walked 11 miles every day. I couldn't do that now even if I wanted to. Please help me!

xx

Replies

• What about a bike or an elliptical? No to very little impact.
  • Stationary bike, elliptical would still have you standing and putting weight on your feet. Diet and bike it out.
  • I have a knee injury and have gained weight because of it. In my search I've come across dvd's that you work out to while sitting. I also recently came across chair yoga. Initially after my injury I wanted to continue walking so I upgraded my walking sneakers and purchased a pair of hiking poles you might want to purchase extra rubber tips they wear out pretty quickly. I got a decent workout walking laps around my neighborhood park, its a good workout for my arms and legs, the poles helped me to keep me steady on my feet. I hope this info helps. All the best to you.