Weight of pasta

for dinner last night I had spaghetti (using penne noodles). I cooked a 500g bag and the serving size is 100g. When it was finished I weighed a serving at 100 grams and it didn't seem like much but I ate it anyway. When I put away leftovers I decided to weigh what was left over and it weighed in at 787g (my husband had a serving too but much more than what I had - I didn't weigh his). So my 100g serving wasn't correct. The weight of pasta is obviously heavier when cooked. So how much pasta should I have when it's cooked? I was still kinda hungry with just that 100g serving. Also is pasta healthy for you?? I use wheat.

Replies

• Next time first weigh it raw to get your servings (500g, so 5 servings). Then when it is cooked weigh it again, and divide the new cooked total by 5. Voila-you now know the "100g" portion. This is how I figure out the calories for all of my cooked food. Hope that made sense!
  • And anything is "healthy" in moderation. But sure, you get carbs, little protein and some fiber in wheat pasta. Yum yum
  • slaite1 wrote: »
    Next time first weigh it raw to get your servings (500g, so 5 servings). Then when it is cooked weigh it again, and divide the new cooked total by 5. Voila-you now know the "100g" portion. This is how I figure out the calories for all of my cooked food. Hope that made sense!
    It made sense. I meant to weigh it before eating it but forgot so I posted here to see if anyone knew.

• As you already stated, weighing it before is the way to go. If you forget and have to weigh it cooked then weigh all the pasta then device it by how many servings you originally cooked like the poster above said.
  • Great advice above. If you're looking for more accurate method the weigh, cook, weigh again and divide seems to be your best bet.
    If you're after a more general estimate 150g of cooked (wholemeal) pasta is a reasonable serve. It worked out to be approximately 75g of dry (uncooked) pasta.
  • Great advice above. If you're looking for more accurate method the weigh, cook, weigh again and divide seems to be your best bet.
    If you're after a more general estimate 150g of cooked (wholemeal) pasta is a reasonable serve. It worked out to be approximately 75g of dry (uncooked) pasta.
    Thank you
  • MrM27 wrote: »
    As you already stated, weighing it before is the way to go. If you forget and have to weigh it cooked then weigh all the pasta then device it by how many servings you originally cooked like the poster above said.
    thanks

• for dinner last night I had spaghetti (using penne noodles). I cooked a 500g bag and the serving size is 100g. When it was finished I weighed a serving at 100 grams and it didn't seem like much but I ate it anyway. When I put away leftovers I decided to weigh what was left over and it weighed in at 787g (my husband had a serving too but much more than what I had - I didn't weigh his). So my 100g serving wasn't correct. The weight of pasta is obviously heavier when cooked. So how much pasta should I have when it's cooked? I was still kinda hungry with just that 100g serving. Also is pasta healthy for you?? I use wheat.

Healthy is a relative term and I think that as long as you have no health related problems ( like an allergy, or in my case taking Coumadin after a heart attack that is not absorbed in the blood stream if I eat green leafy vegetables) you can pretty much eat everything.
    I think the easiest way to make sure you get the right amount of pasta is weighing 100grs dry and then cooking that amount apart from the other pasta. This way you can eat all of it, no matter what it weighs in it's cooked state,
    I would not go by the cooked weight ( even if I knew how the ratio worked ) , because pasta absorbs water according to how long it is cooked, what kind of wheat it is made from and how old the pasta is. It might only be25-30 grams, but in the case of pasta in such limited portions it makes a difference.