Core exercise suggestions

I recently had hernia surgery (3 weeks ago) and I'm ready to start up my ab/core exercise routine again but I'm concerned on how the repair will hold up. Are there any suggestions on which exercises would be best to do other than planks? I'm not ready to try any decline sit ups or leg ups to give you an idea of what I think my limit is atm.

Replies

• Having had to have two hernia surgeries because I started to fast I highly recommend you wait a little longer
  • Probably should be asking your surgeon.

What is your objective with the core exercises?
    And you doing other strength exercises, namely squats and deadlifts?
  • Surgeon said 2-4 weeks or when I feel like I'm ready. No squats or deadlifts. Strength exercises are typical, mainly machine exercises until I'm ready for free weights.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    If you're not allowed to do squats or deadlifts, then I can't imagine that more focused ab work would be a good idea. JMHO- ultimately only you know if you're ready, but it can be really hard when you've had surgery to tell when you're really ready vs. when you wish you were because you're impatient.
  • Machine916 wrote: »
    I recently had hernia surgery (3 weeks ago) and I'm ready to start up my ab/core exercise routine again but I'm concerned on how the repair will hold up. Are there any suggestions on which exercises would be best to do other than planks? I'm not ready to try any decline sit ups or leg ups to give you an idea of what I think my limit is atm.

Isometrics
  • I'd start with squats and deadlifts*, even if just holding a tiny weight. Ab exercises are minimally important when doing squats & DLs, because those work the core plenty. Ab exercises don't target abdominal fat, if that's what you're trying to do.

*Learn proper form before doing freeweights.
  • Great info/suggestions, tyvm. :)