Tucking leg under while sitting - Question

2»

Replies

• I used to have a lot of trouble at work because my chair was not ergonomically correct. my chiropractor told me to ask for a "secretary's chair" one that does not have arms so you can roll right up to the desk and sit up straight not hunched over.
    i also put a box under my desk so I could elevate my feet while sitting.
    Unfortunately I don't have a remedy for the numb tingling hands. I tried hugging a pillow but I still will get numb fingers when I sleep
  • Lofteren wrote: »
    Both of the habits you mentioned could cause you to develop entrapment neuropathies as you get older. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and Peroneal Entrapment at the Fibular head are all caused by the behaviors you described. They are more than likely nothing more than habits you have which will be difficult; albeit necessary, to break.

do you think that's the foot placement or just part of the reality of sitting for 40 hours a week at a desk?
  • I sit crisscross applesauce whenever I can. I HATE having both feet on the ground, no matter what chair I sit on. If I can't do it for whatever reason I try to have a little stool to put me feet on. When I'm in the library I just turn my basket upside down and use that. As a kid I even used to sleep like that. Now I just do it (kind of in a child's pose way) whenever my restless legs kick in. I guess it just helps with all of my knee problems.
  • Azuraen wrote: »
    I also have a tendency to fold my arms close to my body or around my head while I sleep. I always wake up with numb fingers because my wrist is bent 90 degrees for I don't even know how long.

Be careful of that one. You are describing the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome and it gets worse, much worse (and can require surgery). I now have to wear a wrist brace at night, every night. And I have trouble with my grip and pain from it as well. Treat it now before it becomes crippling.
  • I sit like that or with my legs crossed all day long at my desk. I also totally sleep with my hands tucked under - I used to sleep with my arms crossed under my head like a pillow but now I have a bad shoulder so only one hand goes under my head lol - it falls asleep a lot. One time my thumb took a couple of days to come back to life all the way. That was a little scary but it was like 7 years ago and never re-occurred. The hand for the bad shoulder, I grip the comforter in it and kind of wedge it under my chin. It never falls asleep so maybe that's something you could try.

• I've heard of people sitting on a large exercise ball while working on the computer. It's supposed to keep you moving a bit, in order to stay stabilized. I wonder if that might help you?

This is what I do.

• I'll make sure I'll be more careful.. I thought it was more irritating than dangerous. Wow.
    While I'm sitting in a chair, I usually tuck one leg under the other leg that's touching the floor, and then I have to switch legs every few minutes because it starts to hurt. Does anyone else do this constantly? I can only imagine that I'm standing up and switching legs about 100 times a day while I'm at work. It's uncomfortable for me to put both legs down even though I know that's the best way to sit. Anyone else suffer from this?

Yes, I do this all day, everyday at work.
  • can you get a stool for your feet to rest on? I know is seems weird, but it helps to relieve the stress caused by the fact that your feet are reaching for the floor if your chair is too high.
    Anyone else suffer from this?

suffer?
  • DavPul wrote: »
    Azuraen wrote: »
    Anyone else suffer from this?

suffer?

:laugh:
    I would sit indian style all day if I could, but then both of my legs would fall asleep... Lol.

I do this. I'm short, my feet never touch the floor comfortably no matter what, so I've gotten uses to sitting crosslegged in my chair. This makes it difficult to wear skirts.
  • I also have short legs and prefer to sit cross legged unless I'm in some kind of important meeting. I don't sit any one way all day though. I fidget a lot, so I generally can't hold still or stay in one position for too long. Much of the time I'll sit with one leg under the other, the other being propped up so my knee is right between my wrists while I type. :smile:

You have to be careful with how you sleep and sit though. I have symptoms of both carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome. I have the cubital much worse (it's your elbows rather than wrists) from leaning on my elbows all day. I had to stop leaning like that and sleeping with my elbows bent because my ulnar nerve (funny bone) got so sensitive I'd just stretch my arms and I'd get the sensation of 'hitting your funny bone' without even touching it!
  • @Azuraen I came across this thread while browsing the forums, and was glad to see @Lofteren 's post and your reaction :)
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Both of the habits you mentioned could cause you to develop entrapment neuropathies as you get older. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and Peroneal Entrapment at the Fibular head are all caused by the behaviors you described. They are more than likely nothing more than habits you have which will be difficult; albeit necessary, to break.
    Azuraen wrote: »
    That statement made me stick both my legs straight out in front of me Lofteren.

About a decade ago I worked with a young lady to resolve several issues that she related to her sitting posture, which sounded quite similar to what you describe. If I remember correctly, this lady was not yet 40-yrs of age and had some modest displacement of her spine at L5 - S1 (Lumbosacral joint). She described not being comfortable sitting without one or both legs folded under her thighs, as you have. Much of her day and all of her resting nights were spent with some level of pain/discomfort.

You may also wanna look at some literature on "Isthmic Spondylolisthesis" to see if you recognize anything (just to ask, did this all start for you around 5 or 7-yrs of age?).

To close the story on this young lady, she was able to get partial resolution from a surgical procedure, recovered fairly well, and is now very serious about maintaining her core strength (with her now-limited movement).