Tucking leg under while sitting - Question

While I'm sitting in a chair, I usually tuck one leg under the other leg that's touching the floor, and then I have to switch legs every few minutes because it starts to hurt. Does anyone else do this constantly? I can only imagine that I'm standing up and switching legs about 100 times a day while I'm at work. It's uncomfortable for me to put both legs down even though I know that's the best way to sit. Anyone else suffer from this?

Replies

• Nope
  • I also have a tendency to fold my arms close to my body or around my head while I sleep. I always wake up with numb fingers because my wrist is bent 90 degrees for I don't even know how long.
  • Sounds like your chair height might not be right for you.
  • I do the same thing.
  • Tried lowering my chair right now Dave.. It went down maybe an inch. Maybe that will help.. I am pretty short.. Lol.
  • This is a bad habit and can throw off your spine/hips alignment.
  • I would sit indian style all day if I could, but then both of my legs would fall asleep... Lol.
  • I always sit on one of my feet. I'm short and it's usually the most comfortable way. My feet fall asleep a lot. :D
  • Meeeeee toooooo! I was fine for years - until I got a new "ergonomic" chair at work that makes sitting like that impossible.... THAT is when I started having pain in my lower body. It also has something to do with hypo-thyroidism, but I was never uncomfortable when I was able to sit for long periods of time with one leg underneath. One time, though, my heel got caught in the hem of my dress & I fell off the chair.... OOPS!
  • Both of the habits you mentioned could cause you to develop entrapment neuropathies as you get older. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and Peroneal Entrapment at the Fibular head are all caused by the behaviors you described. They are more than likely nothing more than habits you have which will be difficult; albeit necessary, to break.
  • I do it with my left leg under me but can't do it with my right, not usually at a desk chair like that, though. I sit on the couch like that a lot but with my right leg out to the side in line with my left. I've done it so long that I'm almost incapable of sitting normally because it just doesn't feel right.
  • That statement made me stick both my legs straight out in front of me Lofteren.
  • I used to do that all the time. I bought a little footstool and was able to break the habit. It really helps to have somewhere to put my feet (other than on the floor, of course).
  • I used to do that all the time and it caused me some pain and discomfort too (plus I heard it causes varicose veins). I then read that the best way to sit is w/ both your legs straight ahead propped up on a small stool.
    I got one of those small ones that kids use when trying to reach the sink and it feels a lot better. But I admit I still have a tendency to cross my legs for a bit before I realize it and use my stool. Old habits are hard to kick!
  • Azuraen wrote: »
    While I'm sitting in a chair, I usually tuck one leg under the other leg that's touching the floor, and then I have to switch legs every few minutes because it starts to hurt. Does anyone else do this constantly? I can only imagine that I'm standing up and switching legs about 100 times a day while I'm at work. It's uncomfortable for me to put both legs down even though I know that's the best way to sit. Anyone else suffer from this?

There is no good sitting. Just moving. IF you’re squirming, getting up, sitting back down, that’s probably a good thing. Add some walking around and you’ll be doing yourself a favor.
  • I used to do that all the time. I bought a little footstool and was able to break the habit. It really helps to have somewhere to put my feet (other than on the floor, of course).

Yes...what I just said... LOL didn't see your post until after I posted mine!
  • I do it all the time, but it never hurts. If I stay that way long enough my foot will fall asleep, but that happens if I leave my legs crossed for too long too.
    I will be the first one to sit on the floor in a group setting if there's limited seating. Criss cross applesauce!
  • This is a bad habit and can throw off your spine/hips alignment.

I agree (and I know because I used to do it). It is also bad for your circulation, hence, the pain or numb feeling. It can also cause you vein issues as you get older. If you can avoid ugly, bulgy veins in your legs by just changing the way you sit NOW, you will be grateful later!

Getting regular massages has taught me to focus on my posture at all times. I too am short, so I have a flat step under my desk that I place my feet flatly on. Keeps my back and shoulders aligned and it really does make a huge difference in how I feel. Try the foot rest!
  • Azuraen wrote: »

There is no good sitting. Just moving. IF you’re squirming, getting up, sitting back down, that’s probably a good thing. Add some walking around and you’ll be doing yourself a favor.

I have a desk job.. If I'm not sitting down I'm not working! Lol. I do take walks on my breaks though.
  • I've heard of people sitting on a large exercise ball while working on the computer. It's supposed to keep you moving a bit, in order to stay stabilized. I wonder if that might help you?