Cure for bad hamstrings?

I need a bit of help, a few years ago I ended pulling both hamstrings really badly and they've given me nothing but trouble since then. I'm thinking they either never healed right or they're just exceptionally weak at this point.
Is there a way to strengthen your hamstrings? Any help is appreciated. Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• Have you been to a physical therapist?

In general, I like Romanian deadlifts for hamstring. Leg curls too but RDLs are my favorite. Another good exercise, if you don't want to do something with weights, are leg curls on a ball. They look easy but if you haven't been working your hamstrings much you will really feel them quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZZCevWL7CQ
  • Foam Roller!!!
  • jemhh wrote: »
    Have you been to a physical therapist?

In general, I like Romanian deadlifts for hamstring. Leg curls too but RDLs are my favorite. Another good exercise, if you don't want to do something with weights, are leg curls on a ball. They look easy but if you haven't been working your hamstrings much you will really feel them quickly.

Unfortunately no, I never even went to the doctor for it when it happened. But I do have an exercise ball at home that I can use so that link was perfect, thank you for showing me that. :)
  • I ended up with a swollen meniscus because my hamstring got so tight. The Physical therapist gave me a lot of good exercises. You might want to see if you can find Physical therapy sights that recommend exercises for hamstrings. Some are not what you would think. Some of it is balance.

Also be very careful and stretch often and gently.
  • I need a bit of help, a few years ago I ended pulling both hamstrings really badly and they've given me nothing but trouble since then. I'm thinking they either never healed right or they're just exceptionally weak at this point.
    Is there a way to strengthen your hamstrings? Any help is appreciated. Thank you! :smile:

It's probably a multi-pronged issue.

1. You could have a bad quadriceps to hamstring strength ratio, which can definitely be a cause of the injury.
    2. You may also have poor hamstring, hip, and / or glute flexibility as well

It could be one or both of those two.

I can already see it now, that everybody is going to tell you to squat and deadlift and unfortunately that's really not what's needed here. Yes, if you can Squat or Deadlift then I think you should, however; hamstring activation during a squat is there but not great and it's largely in the biceps femoris, but there are three muscles in the hamstring complex (semimembranous & semitendinosus).

Using a Squat is a good base for lower body strength and even overall stability. Though to really develop your hamstrings you need some other exercises. The Straight Leg Deadlift or Romanian Deadlift are both excellent for hamstring and hip strength. If you can't manage those, doing Back Raises on a 45-degree bench with the support pretty low (top about waist level) is actually pretty good at getting at the hamstring complex and glutes. From a single-leg perspective, I do also like doing Step-Ups with a Balance hold. Use a box or bench that allows your thighs to be parallel to the ground, step-up, and bring the other leg up into a hold and hold that position for 2 seconds. This is also a good way to help improve balance and can contribute to core stabilization. Lastly, the every taboo Leg Curl. I would suggest doing these one leg at a time and using a slow tempo (4 sec eccentric / 2 sec hold / 1sec concentric) for 6 to 10 reps per leg at 1 to 3 sets.

• jemhh wrote: »
    Have you been to a physical therapist?

Unfortunately no, I never even went to the doctor for it when it happened. But I do have an exercise ball at home that I can use so that link was perfect, thank you for showing me that. :)

I would say start out with 2-3 sets of 8-12. I'm not sure what shape you're in so it might be on the lower side of that or maybe the higher side. I tend to forget about this exercise and then go back to it every few months and whenever I do I remember "oh yeah, these aren't as easy as they look."
  • Thank you so much for the advice, I have a lot to look up now. Sam_I_am, definitely looking into those Back Raises. Jemhh, anything involving an exercise ball is never as easy as it looks. I've lost my balance on that thing enough times to know that! LOL But I'll definitely be doing that one tonight to see how it feels. :smile:
  • Also try to find a massage therapist who has been practicing a while... I have issues with my quads I which they kind of get tangled and then they don't perform as well... Hamstrings could be doing the same... Not to mention it is a massage!!!!! But it does hurt the during and following a few days....
  • I need a bit of help, a few years ago I ended pulling both hamstrings really badly and they've given me nothing but trouble since then. I'm thinking they either never healed right or they're just exceptionally weak at this point.

First, have you had any physical therapy on them?

I’d look into a good mobility program (self-myofascial release and stretching). As for strengthening, you should do deadlifts and squats to get a good overall muscular strength in your legs. Working one set versus the other is just going to create more imbalances. Things will equalize if you lift with good form.