True Nutrition

I came to MFP a month ago because I was determined to lose weight. I had lost 5 pounds doing Insanity in just one week before joining MFP, but gave up because it was really hard on my knees. I lost 5 more pounds doing miscellaneous workouts on YouTube, but as I looked at my actual nutrition, I was shocked that I wasn't getting everything my body needed, such as Potassium, Calcium, Iron etc. So I have been logging my food and taking a multi-vitamin to make up the difference in addition to Glucosamine for my knees, and a pro-biotic that is supposed to SUPPORT weight loss (not guarantee gimmick). But I'm still low in calcium, iron, and potassium. Should I take more vitamin supplements or try to work those nutrients into the food I eat? I don't want to sacrifice my protein intake for calcium and iron when there are supplements available for those things, and they are cheaper than the protein supplements. How do you achieve that perfect balance without overeating and/or under nourishing? I've been lurking long enough to know you all will ask the following:

I'm a 35 yo female, SW - 175, CW - 165, GW - 140 (maybe lower depending on how I feel), relatively sedentary lifestyle, home-based business working on the computer/stay at home mom, currently have about a 1,200 daily diet (with a few "cheats"), no longer working out, but planning to start soon. and of course I want immediate, spectacular results so I am shooting for 2 lbs weight loss per week. ;)

and for the record, I am perfectly satisfied with 1200 calories per day, and don't feel hungry unless it is "feeding time" or have one of those once a month cravings. Could it be that I need to take in more calories, or just bite the bullet and work out so I am actually hungry enough to take in those calcium, iron, and potassium calories? any advice is appreciated. thank you! :)

Replies

• Just a quick question - are you using MFP's database entries to track the potassium, iron and calcium? Because the vast majority of the entries in the database don't record those nutrients, so you may be getting far more of them than you think you are.

• Just a quick question - are you using MFP's database entries to track the potassium, iron and calcium? Because the vast majority of the entries in the database don't record those nutrients, so you may be getting far more of them than you think you are.

I second this. Most entries don't have the micronutrients/minerals included in their nutritional panel, so I wouldn't rely on it too much.

My suggestion is go to your doctors and get your bloodwork done to find out if you have any nutrient deficiencies that you need to work on.
  • Thank you both!! :)