A bit discouraged

Unknown
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
My gastroenterologist wants me to drink 1/2 cup of prune juice and 1/2 cup of apple juice twice a day, morning and night because of some diverticulosis issues. The problem is that equals 325 calories a day. That is a lot, considering I am on a 1,500 calorie a day diet. Subtract the 325, and it does not leave too many calories for meals and snacks. I guess that I have no choice but to up my caloric intake by a similar amount, and hope that at best, I maintain my current weight. Always something.

Replies

• A brisk walk a day for about an hour should take care of the extra calories. Best of luck Stef.
  • Treat the juice as medicine and walk a bit more.
  • AMRROL wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd revaluate your goal because it seems low, and I'd talk to the doctor about another option, honestly.

I agree with you, under normal circumstances. But I have been in intense pain for 2 weeks now, grossly bloated, constipated and with horrible non stop stomach pain. Worst flare up I have ever had. I do think it is best to give my intestines a rest while they heal. My GI doctor knows me well, so I will have to trust him. But thanks for the insight. I do really appreciate everyone's feedback.

You shouldn't be worried about dieting while healing. Your body needs the calories right now. And I agree with the above posters. 1500 is awfully low for a man. How did you come to this amount?
  • La Tortilla Factory makes some pretty high fiber, low cal tortillas. I made the mistake of eating three in one day...yeah...
  • Thanks everyone. I'm having a cardiac catheterization done tomorrow. 100% positive that the chest pain is gastric related, but the doctors are being a bit cautious. I've had this procedure before, so not concerned in the least. The 1,500 calorie was given to me by the VA dietician as I was bordering on obese. I see her every few months, so as I have already lost almost 40 pounds, I am hoping that she will up the caloric intake.
  • AMRROL wrote: »
    I think his reasoning is that he wants to give my digestive track some time to heal itself. Therefore no strong laxatives and a low residue diet for a few weeks. I have never heard of lactulose. Is it the same or similar to Movicol?

Ah ok. Lactulose is a synthetic sugar, it causes more water to be drawn into the bowel and poop so that it can pass more easily, when my husband's constipation is severe he will take up to 30ml and that will do the trick (starting dose is usually 15ml). It doesn't irritate like other laxatives, which he found with things like Movicol or Laxido, and he never uses Senna unless it's for bowel prep for colonoscopies. It takes about 12-24 hours to take effect, but once it does it's pretty effective. I think the docusate sodium is a stool softener so it just helps to keep things going when he isn't severely constipated.

However like others have said the key is to heal, I thought you were being prescribed the juice for life :blush: Also to lose 1lb a week usually means a daily deficit of 500cals, so if you just up your current calories by 300 at worst you'll maintain, but odds are you'll keep losing but perhaps just a bit more slowly than you have been, so nothing will be lost. Good luck :smile: