When should a school intervene? Never? (school lunch issue)

Replies

• Unknown
    edited May 2015
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    If the kid is eating the same crap (it's not food) every day, there's a problem.
    Unless there are obvious signs of malnutrition, though, it's not an immediate one.

Maybe it's something that can be solved by educating the kid(s) as a class exercise,
    maybe it's something the school / district social worker should address with the parents,
    maybe CPS needs to be involved for more in-depth / drawn-out education of the family, plus monitoring for
    improvement, plus helping them connect with the resources they might need (SNAP, for example).

Other than educating every kid in your class, check out the district policies about reporting child neglect. Maybe
    check with the school / district social worker about if this constitutes something which needs to be reported.
    You're a mandated reporter.

Is there any way to provide a bowl of fruit in the room? Let kids have a piece when they want. Maybe there's a
    community group which could fund it? Probably wouldn't take much, I'd guess less than $20/month. Or see if the
    cafeteria (or school budget) could help.

how are doritos "crap"???- the two main ingredients are corn and oil.

and how does the home grown version of a candy bar help the situation?

Why do people keep ignoring the red bull and pretend the only thing that matters are the doritos?

well I already gave my opinion on that so I guess I mentally discounted it in the conversation. I don't think said child should be drinking red bull- but I don't think they should be drinking ANY high sugar drinks- esp not for breakfast- but less for health reasons and more for the fact they are likely to be disruptive in class.
    :lol: I am stealing this for a future situation. Love it.
    steal away. ;)
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    elizamae wrote:
    This little one is getting herself out the door in the morning - her mom works nights and isn't up
    in the morning. She likes her breakfast the way it is and isn't on time for the school breakfast
    Is mom aware that the kid is eating junk every morning? How about mom stop buying junk, buy healthy food, so
    the kid has a choice of healthy things for breakfast? Could they pack a lunch the night before, after cleaning up
    dinner/breakfast, before kid does homework & goes to bed while mom goes to work? Is there another relative in
    the picture who could help the kid? (No dad?)
  • JPW1990 wrote: »
    If the kid is eating the same crap (it's not food) every day, there's a problem.
    Unless there are obvious signs of malnutrition, though, it's not an immediate one.

Maybe it's something that can be solved by educating the kid(s) as a class exercise,
    maybe it's something the school / district social worker should address with the parents,
    maybe CPS needs to be involved for more in-depth / drawn-out education of the family, plus monitoring for
    improvement, plus helping them connect with the resources they might need (SNAP, for example).

Other than educating every kid in your class, check out the district policies about reporting child neglect. Maybe
    check with the school / district social worker about if this constitutes something which needs to be reported.

Is there any way to provide a bowl of fruit in the room? Let kids have a piece when they want. Maybe there's a
    community group which could fund it? Probably wouldn't take much, I'd guess less than $20/month. Or see if the

Why do people keep ignoring the red bull and pretend the only thing that matters are the doritos?

Because Red Bull is awesome and it gives you wings?

Or probably because most of us realize that the particular food items in this particular example are not what is of primary importance here. The issue at hand is the implied responsibility, or lack thereof, assumed by a teacher in any situation such as this.
  • JoRocka wrote: »

Corn - crap
    Oil (certainly not extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil) - crap.
    Extra edible food like substances that do not immediately cause death - crap.

It's true, doritos aren't crap. They are craps. Because, plural.

Exactly, and no one ever said doritos are bad.This child is a young child and red bull can have harmful side effects. Lots of articles online to prove that.

Every country has its own set of rules and regulations that teachers and those in childcare have to adhere to and if the school board find out they have an issue and didn't do something, speak to the parents or talk to the child or report to the correct authority can be dismissed for putting the child at risk even if it turns out the situation is only a minor one.
    Teachers are responsible for the holistic development of the children in their care during school times and nutrition, hygiene and abuse and neglect are included in the holistic development.

• draznyth wrote: »

Or probably because most of us realize that the particular food items in this particular example are not what is of primary importance here. The issue at hand is the implied responsibility, or lack thereof, assumed by a teacher in any situation such as this.

You feel the item that could put the child into cardiac arrest on the playground is of less importance?
    draznyth wrote: »

You feel the item that could put the child into cardiac arrest on the playground is of less importance?

I admit,the energy drink is disconcerting in a kid so young.

I definitely feel the presence of an energy drink changes the dynamics of the situation, because it becomes an issue of safety.

• As a teacher I would not be asking a forum of people who mostly are not teachers for advice about one of my students. It would strike me as odd if my daughter's teacher used this as a source for decision making about my child. Especially considering the morons saying Doritos warrant a call to CPS. We don't know what else is going on the house because they have Doritos? seriously? Save CPS for the real abused and neglected children of the world. What a waste of time.

In this particular case where safety is an issue, then the standard protocol should be followed for intervention.

However, at this point the conversation is clearly no longer about any single case. Which was my point.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015

The odds of a kid going into cardiac arrest from a car accident on the way to school are higher than from drinking a Red Bull.
  • DanniB423 wrote: »
    As a teacher I would not be asking a forum of people who mostly are not teachers for advice about one of my students. It would strike me as odd if my daughter's teacher used this as a source for decision making about my child. Especially considering the morons saying Doritos warrant a call to CPS. We don't know what else is going on the house because they have Doritos? seriously? Save CPS for the real abused and neglected children of the world. What a waste of time.
    To the defense of OP, she wasn't seeking advice here for the purpose of employing said advice, rather OP was interested in opinions.

• Mr_Knight wrote: »

The odds of a kid going into cardiac arrest from a car accident on the way to school are higher than from drinking a Red Bull.
    Perhaps cardiac arrest is slightly over exaggerated, but we all agree it's not okay to give Red Bull to a young child.

Also, on the way to school the child is in the care of a parent/ guardian. Once the child is at school, they become the responsibility of the caregivers there, being the teachers. I guess that's the whole point here.

• BinkyBonk wrote: »
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    As a teacher I would not be asking a forum of people who mostly are not teachers for advice about one of my students. It would strike me as odd if my daughter's teacher used this as a source for decision making about my child. Especially considering the morons saying Doritos warrant a call to CPS. We don't know what else is going on the house because they have Doritos? seriously? Save CPS for the real abused and neglected children of the world. What a waste of time.
    To the defense of OP, she wasn't seeking advice here for the purpose of employing said advice, rather OP was interested in opinions.

This is good news.
  • Mr_Knight wrote: »

Poor nutrition can cause heart attack in young children too. I know of one case back home where a 10 year old boy died on the football field before an ambulance could make it to him. Cause of death was reported as heart attack caused by poor nutrition and high levels of caffeine and other substances commonly found in energy drinks. Since then there have been other cases linked to high consumption of energy drinks reported.

As someone stared previously, maybe the parents aren't aware the child in question is taking those items to school.
  • I would ask other teachers and admins (without including the student's name), share my worries with the parents (via phone when the student is not around). I would not take the student's food away, and would not report.

Also, thanks for being a teacher. Teachers spend as many if not more waking and engaged hours with young people than parents do, just by design of our schools.
  • I would talk to the whole class about healthy eating and physical activity and send a note home to all parents expressing that your class is focusing on healthy living habits and that you encourage children to bring a well balanced meal/snack to school.

I like this idea

• randomtai wrote:
    This is why I want to home school my children. Too many busy body (sic) people.
    You mean, people who are concerned that a child doesn't have adequate supervision & education,
    is consistently eating junk instead of a nutritious breakfast, and is having a drink which could cause
    serious health problems?
    That's not being a busybody, that's showing concern for the child. More people need to do it.

flora wrote:
    I fantasized about being rescued by friends and teachers and the like. I never thought of it
    when I was eating a whole bag of doritoes or drinking pop like water. I was just thinking that of money
    If there's money to buy pop & chips, there's plenty of money to buy healthy food.
    draznyth wrote:
    Apparently Doritos = throwing your kid down a flight of stairs
    Who said that?
    Would you say that calling your kid stupid & fat was not abuse because there were no broken bones?
    Or that slapping him isn't abuse because he didn't have to go to the ER?
    Besides, it more likely comes under neglect, because it isn't an action, but more of an inaction that's
    causing the problem.
    supreme wrote:
    I don't have enough control over her diet (since I only see her a couple of days per week anyway)
    to try and force that to change.
    You control what you both eat in your house, right? So you can set a good example there.
    jo wrote:
    you can tell an entire child's diet from ONE bag of doritos and ONE can of red bull
    OP specified that this is the child's breakfast every morning.
    fanny wrote:
    My daughter wouldn't drink the plain milk that I gave her for lunch.
    So I gave her chocolate milk which had less sugar and more protein than juice
    Try flavored liquid stevia. 1 - 2 drops per ounce and you have chocolate-tasting milk (or orange,
    or toffee, or hwatever you want) with no sugar. Bonus: it looks like normal plain milk, so the teacher
    can't throw a hissy fit.
    jo wrote:
    how does the home grown version of a candy bar help
    You did not just equate a banana or apple to a snickers bar, did you? :astonished:
    Do you honestly have no concept of how different they are?
  • MKEgal wrote: »
    randomtai wrote:
    This is why I want to home school my children. Too many busy body (sic) people.
    You mean, people who are concerned that a child doesn't have adequate supervision & education,
    is consistently eating junk instead of a nutritious breakfast, and is having a drink which could cause
    serious health problems?
    That's not being a busybody, that's showing concern for the child. More people need to do it.
    you're one of those people who call police every time you see a child in the car alone don't you? Mom's going to do jail time for "neglect" or labelled as negligent offenders because they ran inside rite aid to get toilet paper while their child who hasn't slept all day is finally asleep in the car.

not every case is one of "concern for the child" it really is being a busy body.
  • Fascinating thread of ad hominems, red herrings and fallacious arguments. On one side we have busy bodies, snitches, too many cooks and on the other negligent and abusive parents.