cooking with protein powder

So i made pancakes today 1 egg 1 egg white and 1 scoop powder and they still dont taste right its to gritty and dense anyone have stuff to add to make it better

Replies

• Hendrix7 wrote: »
    honestly don't bother, have a proper pancake and a protein shake.

Some recipes just don't suit having protein powder added to them it's more hassle that it's worth

My protein powder works great in shakes & even a pie but FORGET pancakes! Ive tried a zillion recipes and every one of the claimed that the pancakes came out so good that you'd swear you were eating a cheat meal. Yeah right. Total disaster everytime. Flat, lifeless, odd taste, etc, etc. YUK!

Just eat pancakes made using a high-quality mix from a brand like Bobs Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills. Both have a Buckwheat mix and a Multigrain mix that have decent "numbers" and taste freegin awesome. They have solid protein numbers too & low sugar. Use real fruit topping and stay away from "bad" toppings and you'll be fine. Arrowhead Mills makes an Oat Bran based pancake mix that has the lowest carb per serving Ive found for "real" pancakes. 21g of carbs and 6g of fiber. Thats awesome for a pancake and they taste terrific & are fluffly like real pancakes. Simple to make too.

The only negative Ive seen with any of these mixes is that are pretty high sodium but I dont care about that at all personally. Otherwise, sure, they have carbs but thats OK...carbs wont kill you, especially in the morning. I eat pancakes 4-5 times a week(a generous pile of them) and have zero issues with weight control. Jst stay the course the rest of the day and keep your workouts up. You'll be fine!

protein powder + pancake recipes = FAIL! :)

• Hendrix7 wrote: »
    honestly don't bother, have a proper pancake and a protein shake.

Some recipes just don't suit having protein powder added to them it's more hassle that it's worth

Lol srs, just eat some good, regular food, then supplement with a protein shake to hit your macros. No reason to add protein powder into everything and ruin your food.
  • betuel75 wrote: »
    It also depends on the protein powder. Some are more griddy and don't mix as well as others.

This.

I use Trutein and it makes decent pancakes. They're not fluffy like real ones though; more crepe-like.

1 scoop powder
    3 oz. plain greek yogurt
    2 whole eggs
    2 egg whites

Makes a good amount too.
  • I make mine with regular Bisquick and protein powder and protein plus milk:

2/3 cup Bisquick
    1 scoop MetRx Protein Plus
    1 egg
    1 cup Lucerne protein plus 2% milk.

700, calories for the whole batch, 48g protein. Top with whatever you like - I actually like the Walden's Sugar Free Syrup. It's the only one that I can stand (and the only product of theirs I can stand).
  • I had similar experiences with adding protein powder to just about every recipe I tried, so now I use greek yoghurt as a way to add more protein. This is my favourite protein pancake recipe, I make it a batch at least once a week: http://www.veggiesbycandlelight.com/whole-wheat-greek-yogurt-pancakes/ (it has 13.5g protein per portion, all the nutritional information is on the recipe)
  • I love protien pancakes! 6 egg whites, 1 cup uncooked oats, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 scoop protien powder, 1tbs vanilla, 1tsp cinnamon --- put them in the blender until smooth and fry them up like a normal pancake! Even my 3 yr old was them! And I have had nothing but good reviews for anyone who has tried them!
  • I just use Trutein Cinnabun protein powder and almond milk. No eggs or anything. (Blueberries sometimes.) I just mix them together until the consistency seems right. Freakin' delicious!
  • kikichewie wrote: »
    Look for a protein pancake recipe with cottage cheese and egg whites instead of protein powder.

I like these https://www.eatthismuch.com/recipe/view/oatmeal-cottage-cheese-pancakes,39211/
  • I've found that plant proteins blend better than whey in baking recipes (which is all a pancake is. baked in a pan). Plant Fusion unflavored has worked well for me.
  • I use a vanilla whey isolate scoop with one serving(46g) of egg white, splenda, banana extract, pumpkin puree for a moist texture and baking powder to make them fluffier.