my search continues: The best kind of fitness watch

It's there a fitness watch that will record runs and tell you your MPH and stuff like the runtastic app does with a phone? I don't want to carry my phone with me, but I like knowing my speed, distance, and using the GPS. I want that in watch form, but I'm not looking to buy the new iWatch for $250. Are there other things out there like that? I want something with bluetooth that will sync to MFP and other things. Ideally, it would be in the $100-$150 range. Also, I'd like it to be something that I can wear daily (so not overly bulky) and having a step counter that syncs is a plus too.

Thanks!

Replies

• This is an excellent fitness watch. I have owned mine for 3 weeks and love it!
  • I'm rather fond of the Flipbelt myself. And I totally look like this model.... :*
    Belt-Close-Up.jpg
  • ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why not just get a running belt to carry your phone? Much less than buying another electronic device only used for exercise.

Not cheaper at all when you damage your phone due to rain or sweat ingress. Been there done that.

Yes, you can put the phone in a zip lock, no it won't be sealed if listening to tunes but it will probably be OK. Yes it will be annoying as hell to start, shove in bag, and shove in your SPI or Flip belt or what have you and get said belt on. No it won't be useful for doing some forms of interval work. No you won't be able to monitor heart rate while you run. Etcetera.

But yes, it's a great and inexpensive way to start. I put on five hundred km on my phone before I killed the screen with water and sweat, requiring a $125 repair.

GPS is nice but if on a budget a watch with heart rate, pace, and cadence, coupled with HR chest strap and foot pod, would provide years of service and excellent into for the runner who expects to use such metrics in their future training.