Quick ideas to add protein to breakfast?

I am not a morning person and I don't have time (well the inclination to get up early and make time!) to grill turkey bacon or anything else on a morning. My OH normally makes me a wholemeal bagel and brings it to bed for me because yes I'm spoiled!

What can I add to make it more protein-y as I need to get more protein into my day? Is peanut butter enough?

Replies

• oo protein pancakes sound good thanks :) I'll look into them. I don't like eggs :(
  • nicola8989 wrote: »
    I am not a morning person and I don't have time (well the inclination to get up early and make time!) to grill turkey bacon or anything else on a morning. My OH normally makes me a wholemeal bagel and brings it to bed for me because yes I'm spoiled!

What can I add to make it more protein-y as I need to get more protein into my day? Is peanut butter enough?

Eggs

Smoked Salmon
  • A tuna bagel would be nice
  • I like to start the day on protein, so if I'm rushed I go with unsweetened almond or coconut milk with a whey or egg white protein powder mixed with banana or berries and drink on the go. If I have more time then I'm having turkey or tuna and hummus roll up. I'm weird, I like my "lunch " for breakfast.
  • Cottage cheese is a great source of protein
  • Peanut butter (or nut butter) is a fat source, not a protein source.

Wrong. It's a high protein and high fat source.
  • eggs
    bacon
    sausage
    greek yogurt
    protein granola
    chicken
    beef
    soy
    beans
    tuna
    cottage cheese
    peanut butter
    quinoa
  • Peanut butter (or nut butter) is a fat source, not a protein source.

Wrong. It's a high protein and high fat source.

Eh, it's really kind of only moderate on protein. The jar I have here has 16g of fat per serving and only 7g of protein. Peanut Butter has less protein per serving than greek yogurt, and about the same as sharp cheddar cheese. (but the cheese has less fat, believe it or not!)
  • Peanut butters generally have 2g fat per 1g protein. They're a good source of both.

Reading "I don't have time" and "I don't have the inclination" is more concerning than what to put on your bagel. Fix those problems first.
  • I microwave an egg (beaten) into my oatmeal, and top with vanilla greek yogurt. Sometimes I add cinnamon. Delish!
  • no fat plain Greek yogurt... also a whey protein shake in the morning you can get that in any form you like, vegetable, cow, goat, etc... I showed my nutritionist a Clif builder's bar (20 g of protein) and she liked what she saw...I also shunned boiled eggs for the longest time... BUT they are now a regular part of my lunch...
  • Thank you everyone. Sean I know what you're saying and it will be something I work on eventually, but I have so many other things to work on right now!