How long did it take you to enjoy running?

This is my sixth week getting back into running. I have never been a distance running, but used to be a college athlete. I am signed up for a couple 5ks this summer and a half marathon in the fall.

I want to enjoy running, but it just feels like a chore. I am up to running 2.5 miles, and I am running about 3 times a week. For those of you who enjoy running, did you enjoy it when you started? Is it something that you learned to enjoy?

I am not going to stop running as there are so many benefits to running, I was just wondering if maybe it will click when I get into better shape and be something I more so enjoy. Every time I go for a run it feels like a struggle. I am horrible at pacing myself, and there are times when I finish I am on the ground throwing up. Does it get easier with experience to pace yourself?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• UPDATE:

I am actually starting to enjoy running! I think as it is getting easier to run a couple miles it has become more enjoyable. There have been challenges I face while running but everything seems to be getting easier. I have changed up my routes and distances and have even taken my dog and husband along with me. Making it more social has been fun.

I am running a night time color run in a couple weeks that I am super excited for!

I also decided to repeat a week of the training plan I am following because I felt like I needed extra time at the three mile distance and I was getting discouraged.

I hope it continues to get better :)
  • I can't say that I enjoy it. I run because I feel some sense of obligation to do so because after an ankle operation a few years ago, my doctor told me that I wouldn't be able to run again (not that I was a runner at the time). He didn't expect me to walk normally, so I run because I can.
  • ColdPlum wrote: »
    I hated running when I started. I did it and I hated it. It wasn't time that changed by attitude, but my approach. I don't know if this will help you at all, but I can tell you how it shifted for me. When I began running, I ran for time, or distance, or calorie burn. When I really hated it, I was running for all three. At the end of my run I would think, "Well, I didn't improve the way I had hoped, but I checked this off my list for the day." I always felt like a bad runner, like some sort of failure. I pushed myself way too hard, and then one day I just couldn't run anymore. Like, I went from running 10 miles to not being able to finish 3. Then 2 was incredibly hard. I took a break for a few years. When I got back into it, I wanted to avoid the crash and burn, so I decided that I would not run for distance, time, or burn. I will run only for joy. I run only in places that bring me joy, in clothes that bring me joy, at whatever speed I enjoy the most, for as long as it feels fun (or until my schedule tells me I have to stop!) Somedays I run fast, somedays its a run/walk, somedays I only walk, and somedays I hit the trail, can't find any joy, so I just turn around right then and go home. Interestingly, I've learned that when that happens, I usually get sick the following day. If my body isn't enjoying it, its telling me I need to take it easy!! Now that I run with joy as my goal, I can't wait to run, and I would do it as often as possible.

Beautiful! I have a similar approach, I exercise because my body feels good when I move it, so I let my mood dictate what I'll do for the day - run, walk, yoga, strength, bike, nothing - but I really love how you put this. I'm definitely going to set a joyful intention when I head out tomorrow - thanks!
    OP - I never enjoyed running until I did c25k and heard over and over again "GO SLOW - put miles down and speed will follow naturally." That took all the pressure off me somehow and now (although there are runs that feel only like a struggle) there are some runs when I feel like my feet are flying over the ground, and I could go forever. If you want to enjoy running - figure out what expectations you are trying to live up to and let them go. As for pacing - I find when I focus on running with good posture, it's harder for me to go overly fast.
    Happy running!
  • I have a love hate relationship with running.
    Somedays are much better than others. The love part: it frees my mind and stress is gone for however long the run.
    With that said, I need music in my run. I hate running without music.
    There are days/weeks that the run is horrible. I think nutrition is a big factor. If your body is running on empty or low fuel, the run is much more difficult than if fueled properly.
    Also, some days of the month (TMI) the run is just not gonna happen.
    One more thought, when I got a watch to track distance, time, and calories.. It was much more motivating. I love to see the progress in distance and calories burned. I am a slow runner, so still trying to challenge myself to get to the 11 minute mile consistently.
  • I've never asked myself if I ever 'enjoy' running…it's just a part of my daily my life as watching TV or using the internet.
  • It definitely took me some time to enjoy running but the main reason I started was because walking got incredibly boring and I had to mix up my routine. I started with, of all things, Wii Fit and "running" around that goofy make-believe island since I was still rather heavy and embarrassed to run outside yet.

Then I got a treadmill and started running on that until I got used to it. Eventually, that got boring so it was time to take it outside (after losing more weight and not being as embarrassed). I immediately noticed the difference in how the pavement felt vs. a treadmill. I ran a half-block and was winded. But there was a benefit to being outside and on a different surface: it was outside, I could go wherever I pleased, and there was so much to see.

I added more distance and eventually worked my way up to 10 miles (with about a mile or two of walking). It's still tough to get going -- the first miles always seem the hardest for me -- but after about Mile 5 or 6, I've hit my stride and it's just an amazing thing to experience, especially when I think back to my 300 pound days.

And if running just isn't your thing for whatever reason, just simply try something else. I also ride my bike so that running isn't my sole source of cardio, and it's not uncommon to ride 20 miles and run 5k in-between at the local park.

I hate olives and mushrooms and there's nothing you can do to convince me they are delicious so I just don't eat them. So find your thing and go with it.
  • My wife and I have a regular Friday running date and we usually spurge and drive a little so we can run 8 to 10km in a lovely forest where our dog can be off leash. Running can be a great social activity. Running at a place you can have a conversation at builds cardio capability efficiently as a great bonus, and risk of injury drops. Win, win, win.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Have you tried using a heart rate monitor to pace yourself?
    aes1219 wrote: »
    I am not going to stop running as there are so many benefits to running

There are benefits to all exercises. If running causes that many problems for you, why not find something more enjoyable - maybe strength training, cycling, sports, dancing, martial arts, rock climbing, swimming, etc, etc.

First answer got it.

33 years. I couldn't do it very long before it led to injury. I think the reason I didn't like it before is because my body is bad at it.
  • Never. I keep thinking it'll get easier as I get more fit...and it keeps on not happening for me. I notice when others are running, they make it look effortless and appear light on their feet. When I run, I feel like Frankenstein stomping around everywhere. I just don't feel graceful at all and since I am using running as a way to burn calories, it wouldn't be a burden to give it up for something else.

I never set out with the mindset to actually achieve anything in running, it was just an exercise I could do anywhere at my own pace. Perhaps that had something to do with not embracing it but it has lately become more like a job than anything. With the warmer weather, going to the park and shooting hoops or going for a bike ride will fill my cardio needs. I can still see myself going for a run now and then (I don't HATE it) but it won't be something I demand myself to do.