Binge Eating Disorder

Hey everyone,

During 2014 I was really successful on MFP, lost 75lbs (from 264lbs in April) no problem as I had absolutely cut out all sweet things (cake/chocolate bars/fizzy drinks etc) and had no cravings for them.

Since christmas, when everyone brought in chocolate virtually every day, I've been struggling with my binge eating habits resurfacing, doing some really shameful things such as eating 3 whole 6-portion cheesecakes in a single day (on top of meals), not through choice but lack of control. There are more but I won't get into that.

I'm slowly getting a grip on myself again by cutting everything out but was wondering what others going through it had done to handle BED? I've made healthy snacks available to myself to eat when I do get urges but I still get that little voice that says "go get a cheesecake, you've earned it".

Thanks all.

Replies

• can anyone send me the link to the groups in MPF? there is no way to do a "search" for the group :(
  • Binge eating has a number of potential causes -

1. Chaotic eating - if you are missing meals, eating at random times, having food around and mindlessly grazing on it, etc.
    2. Calorie deficit is too large or your body fat % is too low for your body
    3. You have demonized food and tell yourself that you have no control over it. That often is an unfortunately side effect of cutting foods out completely.
    4. If you have blood sugar problems, eating patterns could also contribute to overeating
    5. Using food to cope with negative emotion (emotional eating)

It sounds like #3 is at play with you. For that I would recommend purposefully eating the scary, demonized food (in small portions) several times a week. This is purposeful practice of eating it without overeating it. Using mindful eating skills can help with this.

You might also want to check into #2.

Good luck!

Professional help could save you from years of struggle with this.
  • lewispwest wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

During 2014 I was really successful on MFP, lost 75lbs (from 264lbs in April) no problem as I had absolutely cut out all sweet things (cake/chocolate bars/fizzy drinks etc) and had no cravings for them.

Since christmas, when everyone brought in chocolate virtually every day, I've been struggling with my binge eating habits resurfacing, doing some really shameful things such as eating 3 whole 6-portion cheesecakes in a single day (on top of meals), not through choice but lack of control. There are more but I won't get into that.

I'm slowly getting a grip on myself again by cutting everything out but was wondering what others going through it had done to handle BED? I've made healthy snacks available to myself to eat when I do get urges but I still get that little voice that says "go get a cheesecake, you've earned it".

Thanks all.

I dont cut anything out. I continue to face those foods, and grit my teeth until I have learned to control myself. And I am a binge eater, dont make any mistakes about that.

I tend to binge on kraft singles and saltine crackers. Its a favorite binge food for me. But I continue to have those foods around, because the problem is not the food, its me.

I take anti anxiety medication, I do yoga, and recently have taken up coloring mandalas. I journal sometimes, and log as much of my binges as I can. If anyone on my MFP friends list is bothered by entries such as "whole cheesecake" they are welcome to GTFO.

After a binge I just take some stomach medicine (tums, pepto bismol) brush my teeth, and start fresh the next day/next meal.

I keep an overall eye on my week's calories to make sure I dont gain weight, but I do have the occasional high number week. All I can do is keep doing my best, and to not sink down into shame. (which leads to MOAR BINGING)

• I have/had an eating disorder. It wasn't until I found a wonderful psychologist who specialized in those with eating disorders did I discover past demons lurking in my inner soul were the culprit behind why I was self-sabotaging myself. I'm not saying everyone needs to see a shrink, but I think deep down inside there are more than physiological aspects affecting how we eat.
  • I haven't cut anything out as well, well I did at first and it led to more binging. Or I would binge so hard and not eat the next day at all to make up for my *mistake*, I find that slowly facing the food helps you to overcome it.Though, I'm not always that strong. I still have a hard time at work as well because there's always food galore there and soon as I'm offered it I say YES regardless of what it is. I feel like a trained dog sometimes doing a trick and food at work is the reward. So I started thinking of it that way and now when someone at work asks me if I want cake, fudge, brownies, cookies, pie...etc I ask myself am I trained dog? I have my day planned and if you start shoveling down you're going to push yourself out of whack and the safe comfortable place you've found. Sometimes my brain wins and sometimes my mouth wins.
  • Peloton73 wrote: »
    I have/had an eating disorder. It wasn't until I found a wonderful psychologist who specialized in those with eating disorders did I discover past demons lurking in my inner soul were the culprit behind why I was self-sabotaging myself. I'm not saying everyone needs to see a shrink, but I think deep down inside there are more than physiological aspects affecting how we eat.

Yes, this was my problem too until I found a lovely therapist. It's okay to talk to someone, don't be ashamed too is the best advice I can give. I wish I would of told someone sooner.