Low glycemic load diet, caloric reduction, and exercise

I am a 57 year old man, 6'2", present weight 255 - down from 275 on January 3rd, and down from my peak weight (all "birthday suit" weights) of 297. I have changed my diet to be a low glycemic load diet and am seeing good results in weight loss. I have also focused on hydration, sleep, and exercise, and am beginning to notice a difference - yes, in the mirror, but more importantly, I feel better...much better. Set a goal for 240; may go as low as 225. Seems like pounds melt away when I focus on GL instead of GI, and keep it below 20 for each day. I have plenty of energy.

Replies

• Yes, glycemic load below 20. I have an app on my iPhone that has helped: "GI Diet Helper" - it's a little uneven, but the "facts" section of the app explains this all very well. I have also used the SELFnutritiondata (http://nutritiondata.self.com), and a couple of other sources. There is a great audio book (and book) called "The Skinny Rules" written by one of the coaches from the show "The biggest loser" - very motivating and common-sense guide. I am now at 242, with my goal weight of 230, which when I reach it puts me at 15% body fat. I have yo-yo'd up and down for many years, mainly the result of stopping exercise without changing my eating habits, and then exercising again, losing weight, stopping exercise. The key for me has been glycemic load and portion control, supplemented with proper hydration (1/2 ounce of fluids/lb of body weight), rest (7~8 hours of sleep/night; still a challenge area for me), and exercise. I have focused on small, sustainable, changes, and incrementally increasing improving over time, as opposed to the "sea-change" approach (prior failure mode for me). Another very important consideration is reducing, preferably eliminating, refined carbohydrates, to the maximum extent possible; I still eat them, but infrequently so, and when I do, in small portions. One other thing - I began taking Magnesium Glycinate and it has helped me sleep better.

Bottom line is I feel better. A lot better. I have one friend who is 74, and vigorous, active, and another who is 73, with COPD due to obesity (lungs can't expand due to how much visceral fat he has) and is confined to a scooter. It occurred to me, when I started, that daily, I was choosing which I will be in the years to come, in my diet and eating habits.
  • You are doing great! Keep doing what is working for you. <3