Bulletproof Coffee...Busted

Unknown
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
How ‘Superfoods’ Like Bulletproof Coffee Get Popular (Hint: It’s Not Nutritional Science)

I love this article. Favorite parts:

1. Dr. Ranit Mishori, a family medical doctor and professor at Georgetown University School of Medicine, has reviewed the scientific literature on juice cleanse diets. Her conclusion is that any promise that a food will “cleanse” is “complete nonsense.” “The human body was set up to ‘detox’ itself 24 hours a day and for free.

2. “Drink it if you like it, but don’t assume it’s a powerful, much-needed food in your diet,”

3. “All plants have antioxidants,” said Blake. “Do I need to have an expensive berry? Is it going to have any superior nutritional benefit over another plant food?”

Replies

• You also need to look at the bigger picture. No, drinking bulletproof coffee will not allow you to magically lose weight and I don't think Dave Asprey claims that anywhere - It's part of a diet/lifestyle that burns fat be "scheduling" your body to be in ketosis for the majority of the day. The butter (fat) in the coffee just helps keep you satiated for longer while you fast (you only are supposed to eat in the same 8 hour window once a day, for example from 2 pm - 10 pm).
  • I just thought people drank it to up their fat intake, especially for a LCHF diet.
  • I had to stop reading and gag at all the credit "Food Babe" got in this article!
  • Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Bullet roof coffee is just a modern day take off of yak butter tea which has been consumed in Tibet and Nepal for thousands of years. It is for energy not as a cleanse.

Except that that butter tea is delicious and nothing like bulletproof coffee.

On the otherhand, I bet oily coffee really gets things moving.

How to make Real Deal (ish, since you probably don't have access to yak butter):

• I had to stop reading and gag at all the credit "Food Babe" got in this article!

I can't stand Food Babe - she's a total tool.
  • I just thought people drank it to up their fat intake, especially for a LCHF diet.

It definitely helps with fat intake, I have that with a scoop of protein powder in the morning and I'm full till lunch.

It also doesn't taste oily at all, I blend it in my ninja and it ends up being frothy and creamy like a cappuccino. No ill affects digestively either.

It's not for everyone but I love it :)
  • I've never tried butter, because I don't buy unsalted butter. But I have tried oil and it is delicious. Never heard it would help me lose weight.
  • I love "bulletproof" hot chocolate. I use chocolate protein powder instead of coffee.