marathoners using vibrams

hello, are there any repeat marathoners that run in vibrams out there?? I've done one and thinking about doing another but have questions.

Replies

• scottb81 wrote: »
    I use both vibrams and Brooks Pure Connect and rotate them based on how I feel any given day.

A couple of years ago when i first started using vibrams I was a vibram purist which led to a broken foot, pulled calf, and plantar fasciitis.

So, I'm not a purist anymore but I do find them very comfortable to run in several times a week.

thanks for the input
  • Hi OP, I do not run in vibrams... or minimalist for that matter because they don't work for me. But that's not the point of my post. I was responding to your inquiry about the cramping. Most of the time cramping is due to an imbalance of some sort. It can be a number of things so I can't say exactly what your particular imbalance was. However, if you are only now having trouble with cramping etc, I would venture to say that it's not the shoes, but your fueling that could be the culprit.

Did you change anything that you had been doing as far a fueling? If it wasn't the fuel, were you running on a different surface than you are used to?

I would suggest to look at your fueling and then even suggest that regular massage could be helpful. From what you described it could have been posterior tibilais that was giving you trouble. Both anterior and posterior tibialis can be quite tight depending on your stride and gait. A sports massage therapist would have some techniques to help reduce tightness and keep your ankles happy. Just my two cents. Happy running!
  • Hi OP, I do not run in vibrams... or minimalist for that matter because they don't work for me. But that's not the point of my post. I was responding to your inquiry about the cramping. Most of the time cramping is due to an imbalance of some sort. It can be a number of things so I can't say exactly what your particular imbalance was. However, if you are only now having trouble with cramping etc, I would venture to say that it's not the shoes, but your fueling that could be the culprit.

Did you change anything that you had been doing as far a fueling? If it wasn't the fuel, were you running on a different surface than you are used to?

I would suggest to look at your fueling and then even suggest that regular massage could be helpful. From what you described it could have been posterior tibilais that was giving you trouble. Both anterior and posterior tibialis can be quite tight depending on your stride and gait. A sports massage therapist would have some techniques to help reduce tightness and keep your ankles happy. Just my two cents. Happy running!

thanks a lot... I was thinking about compression socks for the calves on my longer harder runs. I found that they are supposed to be for after the run but I have seen people use them during their run.
  • Is the cramping a regular occurrence? How often does it happen, and how long has it been going on?
  • jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is the cramping a regular occurrence? How often does it happen, and how long has it been going on?

no not often at all, not regular. i'n a year round bike rider as well. it only happened when I did the full marathon, didn't happen on the 1/2 distances that I have done.
  • pipcd34 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is the cramping a regular occurrence? How often does it happen, and how long has it been going on?

no not often at all, not regular. i'n a year round bike rider as well. it only happened when I did the full marathon, didn't happen on the 1/2 distances that I have done.
    If it only happened that one time during the race then a likely cause is extreme glycogen depletion if it happened towards the end.

• scottb81 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »

If it only happened that one time during the race then a likely cause is extreme glycogen depletion if it happened towards the end.

I agree. If it's an isolated incident, it's probably not tied to the shoes (nor any other constant like that). Probably something diet/nutrition related.