My first success
All of my life I've considered myself an athletic and active person. I was a tri-athlete and competed at it, ran and went to the gym as much as I could. I also ate fairly healthily. About 8 years ago I started to deal with a deeply embedded emotional issue and while it did create a benefit for me emotionally in that area, it destroyed my ability to avoid using food and eating as a coping mechanism. The more I ate, the less I wanted to work out, I let myself go. My highest weight was 246 lbs, for a 5'8" frame that is morbidly obese. I felt sick all the time, my breathing was awful, I even grunted and groaned when tying my own damn shoes! I'm a business executive and wear suits, I have felt so awful getting dressed and on the weekends I was "that" guy wearing sweats all the time. The trouble is I wanted to feel better. And this little voice kept telling me you can do it, anytime you want...but not today..tomorrow. My loving wife has tried for several years, trying new diets, words of encouragement and it all fell on deaf ears. I had tried MFP once briefly a few years ago and decided to give it another go. On 4/6/15 I logged in...for some reason something clicked. On that day I said these exact words:"I have a life long disease, and I need to control it like any other disease to live the best life I can". Corny, I know, but it just made sense to me. Tomorrow 5/4/15 marks the completion of 4 weeks...and I have dropped 13.2 lbs, 3.3 lbs per week. I have learned to log everything...no excuses..it has to be tracked, I have a disease. I struggled through the work outs and the weak jelly belly core..and can now sweat hard through longer workouts and I feel it coming back! I have a long way to reach my goal of 180lbs, and to race and compete again, and I want to thank this awesome support group. Let's all do this together, be our best and beat this damn disease! Have a wonderful day!