The official nightshift thread....

There used to be an official MFP nightshift thread...what happened to all my fellow night shifters?

Replies

• Loving the new hair Frankie.....surely that gives you a good arm workout in a morning....;)
  • Back in the saddle again! I wish my work days went as fast as my weekends off go.
  • Night Owl in the house. Hour and a half into my first of 5. Ack. So what kind of work do all of you Night Owls do?

Healthcare here.

911 Communications here. Welcome to the thread.
  • So help the idiot that crosses me tonight. With the heat today I got no sleep, so already cranky. It's going to be a long night.

Yardmaster for the NYC Subway here, making sure people have a train in the morning (or not, depending on my night).
  • Just finished up with the last "new" patient in the ER, so I am thinking it must be time to step it out or pedal it out, not sure which. I admit, I am only doing it for the 300 extra calories I will get to eat later today!!!
    Ok, and the feel good thing...

Tasha - Straight 8s here. I wish I could do some 12s.. I'd love the have the extra recovery time off, but those 12 hour days would just kill me.

So how do you guys handle the workouts? Do you work out at night or during the day? Do you follow the same sleep routine on your days off?

My sleep routine changes every day as needed for work or home. I usually workout right before work. Or right after if I have the energy. Lately I've only been getting 4 days in instead of 5 but I'm reminding myself it's better than the 0 I used to do! Find a routine that works for you and keep rocking!
  • You're now leaving society...welcome back to nights...yay me :(
  • Just finished up with the last "new" patient in the ER, so I am thinking it must be time to step it out or pedal it out, not sure which. I admit, I am only doing it for the 300 extra calories I will get to eat later today!!!
    Ok, and the feel good thing...

Tasha - Straight 8s here. I wish I could do some 12s.. I'd love the have the extra recovery time off, but those 12 hour days would just kill me.

So how do you guys handle the workouts? Do you work out at night or during the day? Do you follow the same sleep routine on your days off?

I work 911 too. I workout whenever I can but usually not on work nights. I have a 40 min commute on both sides of a 12hr shift. I need to get my meal planning going so I have an extra 30mins or hour in the afternoons after I wake up.

I don't keep with my sleep schedule on my days off. I adjust it but I sleep so much better going to bed between 11 and midnight and sleeping till 10am ish.
  • No you can't amputate your dogs tail with a rubber band. I'm just saying.
  • First snake bite of the year. Should do well.
  • I work straight 8's(usually) as a Public Safety Officer for MD Anderson. I work at the detatchments in Smithville, TX at The Virginia Harris Cockrell Cancer Research Center at Science Park and in Bastrop, TX at The Michael Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research.

I work 11PM-7AM, Friday-Tuesday and I (usually) get Wednesday and Thursday nights off. I, typically, try to get to sleep by 9AM so I can wake up at about 4:30PM/5PM. I workout when I get up and have a banana and fruit smoothie to try and stave off hunger and DOMS.

Lately, I've been working overtime at all sorts of weird hours to compensate for one person being on vacation(I like him and he deserves it), another person who doesn't take great care of herself and is out with bronchitis(she is okay and sometimes you can't help when you get sick), and another person who is diabetic and can't seem to take proper care of himself and refuses to change his unhealthy diet(I hate him and I am thinking about starting a petition to vote him off the island because the higher ups won't let his supervisor fire him).

We have the lucky privelage of listening to our radios on scan and we get to hear all that goes on with the County Sheriff's Dept. and the two city depts. as well as Bastrop Fire and various EMS/Ambulance services.
    I recently listened to one of the county officers assisting someone who has the same name as the diabetic coworker above. Apparently, he stopped on the highway to relieve himself, fell down, and could not get back up. He will be going to the hospital via EMS. They were delayed by a train. Guess he wont be in tomorrow morning. :rage:
  • I'm not sure if I should be laughing or cursing on that one. :smile:
  • Oh. Damn.
  • No you can't amputate your dogs tail with a rubber band. I'm just saying.

That is hilarious. I would think it would work- that is how you doc sheep tails. I have random memories of my brother walking out in our pasture and finding lost tails to fling at me. Eck. :s
  • And no, you can't let your 6 month old puppy eat a tennis ball. See you guys after surgery. :smile:
  • And no, you can't let your 6 month old puppy eat a tennis ball. See you guys after surgery. :smile:

That just screams intestinal blockage..... :confounded:
  • Turns out there was a laceration in the stomach but no tennis ball. Whatever cut the stomach was no longer there so he must have thrown it up. Got him on some meds to make him comfortable and stop the vomiting and he should do well.
  • Poor puppy.
  • It is my Friday and I have less than 30 minutes to go! Went a 9.5 mile bike ride yesterday...trying to decide if I'm going to repeat that or take a nap once the tot is at preschool. I have a feeling a nap is going to win today...
  • Round 2, then 2 nights off. 2 hrs in. 10 to go. Calls are nonstop/bursting tonight.

Side note: I've found working out after shift helps me sleep better and feel better. May have to keep this routine. At least while im on nights.
  • LacednLace wrote: »
    Round 2, then 2 nights off. 2 hrs in. 10 to go. Calls are nonstop/bursting tonight.

Side note: I've found working out after shift helps me sleep better and feel better. May have to keep this routine. At least while im on nights.

I hear ya I'm just starting mine 12 hrs to go but two days off then the dreaded weekend