Vitamins and other supplements

for quite a few years now I've been taking a multivitamin daily as well as omega 3 or cod liver oil and more recently glucosamine.

I am doing the 5:2 diet (intermittent fasting) combined with 16:8 and on my non fast days and for non fast meals I am eating mostly non processed foods with some meat and veg and no more than 100g cabs per day. I also have a small quantity of fruit like half a banana or 3-4 strawberries in a protein shake most days and fats like peanut butter, olive oil, low fat dairy (cottage cheese, Greek yogurt) or natural fats as well as the odd processed treat like ice cream or chocolate once or twice a week in fairly small quantities. In fast days I eat 550 calories with carbs at around 50-60g and protein at about 40g.

My question is that I have read several articles recently saying that most people in the developed world don't need to take vitamins except one or two which may be lacking but I'm now confused about what I need to take and what could be doing me harm if I take it. For example I don't think I need vitamin D vp because I live in a hot climate most of the time but I've read a lot about people lacking magnesium or taking omega 3 or vitamin b12 etc.

Should I ditch the multivitamin and if so is there anything I should be taking?

Replies

• You should talk to your doctor about it. Nobody here can answer for you. Your doctor can do blood tests to find out if you're getting enough nutrients in your food or not. Whether or not someone needs a multivitamin or other supplements depends on their diet, activity, genetics, and health problems.
  • You would need a blood test to see if you are deficient in anything. Also, living in a hot climate does not mean you can't be vitamin D deficient...I live in New Mexico and we get like 360 days of sunshine per year and I'm always out on my bike...I'm still deficient in vitamin D without supplementation.

People with crummy diets can be deficient in magnesium, but most people who eat healthfully are not. If you eat a lot of fish it is doubtful you would need omega 3...I eat a ton of fish and I was just telling my wife that I think I'm going to stop with my omega 3 supplement after this bottle is gone. b12 isn't a problem generally if you eat meat; however some people have absorption issues.

I still take a multi-vitamin just to cover my bases...plus they're gummy and I like gummy.