Apple shape vs pear shape?

So I've heard about having an apple shaped body vs a pear shaped body, but I've never been able to figure out what it meant. Is it like your weight gravitates to your stomach if you're an apple or to your thighs / butt if you're a pear? I feel like I'm both right now, ha ha!

I'd like to figure out which I am, since I've heard being an apple shape puts you at more risk for heart disease.

Replies

• Unknown
    edited May 2015
    So I've heard about having an apple shaped body vs a pear shaped body, but I've never been able to figure out what it meant. Is it like your weight gravitates to your stomach if you're an apple or to your thighs / butt if you're a pear? I feel like I'm both right now, ha ha!

I'd like to figure out which I am, since I've heard being an apple shape puts you at more risk for heart disease.

Yes, you pretty much got it right.

Apple shaped means that you have android fat distribution pattern so your fat is more through the middle. This is the most common pattern for men but women can have it too. Pear shaped means that you have a gynoid fat distribution pattern, which is generally seen as the more feminine shape where you carry more fat in your hips/thighs/butt.

h9991471_001.jpg

You can change over time too. I was very apple-ish when I was fat. Now I'm more ruler-like, which some people call banana shaped.
  • I would define an apple shape as having your waist measurement be the same or bigger than your hips. You might have fairly thin legs.
    A pear shape to me would have hips that are measuring bigger than upper body and waist area. The thighs might be larger.
  • I'm an apple :/ I hate my fat belly. But I bet if I were pear shaped I'd hate my big butt lol. Kim kardashian and J Lo have made pear shape quite fashionable, no one likes a big round Buddha belly like mine lol
  • I think the only advantage to the apple shape is we can pass for pregnant if we so choose.
  • I think the only advantage to the apple shape is we can pass for pregnant if we so choose.

Better parking spots!

:naughty:

Inquiring minds want to know... Why?
  • Bypass the queue for the loo? Lol
  • jemhh wrote: »
    I think the only advantage to the apple shape is we can pass for pregnant if we so choose.

Better parking spots!

i hope youre kidding

Lol been there done that!