Protein powder

My current protein shakes in the morning have 24g of protein, but 240 calories. To make them taste good I usually have to throw in a banana and PB2 or some other fruit. My breakfasts are then over 300 calories and it is just a drink. I have notices that some other powders have a lot less calories. What do you use, how much protein does it have, how many calories and most importantly how does it taste??

Replies

• OO! Good questions. I use Genisoy protein powder, 3 heaping Tablespoons is about 130 kCals. What I like about it is there is zero sugar, and it is plant based. I think there's 23 gs protein in 3 TBs. You can find it at Wegmans. I usually throw it in cereal or in a protein shake. Good luck!
  • I use musclepharm combat cookies n cream. 140 calories, 25g protein. I usually mix it with water but occassionally if I want it creamier I'll mix it half water and half unsweetened almond milk (I believe a cup of unsweetened almond milk is like 35 calories). Tastes amazing imo. I've also tried chocolate milk (casein protein) and vanilla ice cream (whey isolate) but from what I gather you'd want to probably try the regular combat powder which is a casein and whey mix..better consitency and taste.
  • Im a big fan of Cellucor. I mix 4 scoops + 700ml of water in the blender. That way each portion is about 200g. The concentration tastes good with this amount of water. It is more flavorful after the bubbles settle out from the blender.
  • I looooove Dymatize ISO-100 - it blends super easy, it tastes amazing (hello, they have a birthday cake flavored one!) and it has little to no sugar and fat. One scoop is 110 calories and 25g of protein. I enjoy the chocolate fudge with a shot of espresso for a morning pick me up and I like to blend the birthday cake with frozen strawberries - so yummy!
  • Cellucor Peanut Butter and Marshmallow or ON Gold Standard Mocha/Cappcino with unsweetened almond milk. So filling.
  • Does it have to be some amazingly oversweet epic best tasting thing ever?
    Can't it just be an ok/decent flavour that you can tolerate and drink quickly, while having some fruit or peanutbutter sandwhich separately? (if they are what you like for your breakfast ofc)

I've only had MyProtein.
    For whey powder, i've had;
    banana - my preferred one. and
    chocolate mint (only got it cause it was on an easter deal).
    They're "nice" flavours, still a tiny bit powdery, but i'm not picky. I'm sure there is far better protein powders, but for the price, and good/great quality, I don't really care too much.
    But I just toss in 250ml water, and shake for a few seconds. no blender, or other ingredients.
    Those are both 216 calories, for 8g carb, 4g fat, 34g protein, 4g fiber. They're more meal replacements than straight up protein shakes.

I also have a casein ("slow" digesting protein) powder from the MyProtein too.
    Natural Strawberry - Again. i like it. Its ok/nice. More frothy than the others. I'm guessing thats cause its a different kind of protein. So sort of like a milkshake even with water rather than milk. a little powdery - but again, 250ml water, few seconds of shaking. I'm not that picky.
    That's 107cals, 2g carb, 1g fat, 23g protein.
  • I use body fortress whey isolate, 130 calories gets you 30 grams of protein. Not very many will beat that or the price. 2 gallon tub at walmart for $22 Both chocolate and vanilla mix well and taste good. For low cal breakfast shake i use one scoop protein, 1/2 cup fat free milk, banana extract, cinammon powder, 6 ice cubes, and its a thick filling breakfast for 175 calories and 34 grams of protein. Try different types of flavored extracts.