I Have Zero Motivation :(

I have all the desire to lose the 100lbs that I want to lose. I just can't seem to get myself motivated to do much about it. Not sure why. I know that I have had some stressful times over the past few years but who hasn't. I know what I should and should not eat and that I should be at least getting out for a walk every day or a few times a week but I just can't seem to get my head around actually doing it.

A few years ago..about 8 years I was a whopping 326lbs...my ex and I both started at LA Weightloss (not sure if they even exist anymore) and over the course of a year I got down to 185lbs...without much exercise at all...it was all about the eating...impressive right...

Well..an ex is an ex for a reason and about 6 months or so after we both lost a bunch of weight we got separated...then the weigth started to come back on...and now once again I am a whopping 280lbs...not all the weight came back but almost 100lbs of it did...discouraging to say the least.

I feel so lost most of the time when it comes to trying to get back on the weight loss horse...

Replies

• Maybe try to write down the 3 main reasons why you want to lose the weight and re-read them everyday to motivate you.

See each day as as seperate goal and don't stress about days ahead. Yes plan ahead but again write that down if if helps. But don't worry about achieving goals those days, just concentrate on today. Then each night before you go to bed you can feel proud you achieved something.

And my last piece of advice is to make small achievable goals, don't take on too much at once e.g. week one plan to exercise 2 days for 30 mins then week three exercise 3 days a week for 30 mins. You're much more likely to achieve if you believe you can do it.

Good luck :smile:
  • I think that when it comes to getting to the motivation you belong to a very large group of people. I spent a whole year dealing with all my excuses before I started with MFP. Reading, writing in my diary, looking at success stories. My biggest hurdle was that, due to health reasons, I am unable to do much exercise. One day I had a DUH moment. People with less mobility than me controlled their weight so it had to be more about food. That lead to more reading and then I made some decisions for myself. I would not give up chocolate, wine or eating out. I would not eat a diet created by someone else. I would eat in such a way that it would be easy to go into maintenance. Once I had decided on MY way it was easy to start...I had no excuses left. I've found the support on MFP to be one of the most helpful things of all.
  • I completely agree with the poster before me. Each day is a new day - each day is an opportunity to get a little closer to your goal.

I've felt lacking in motivation in many domains of my life: school, work, weight loss. And then finally one day, I was crying to my mother (yes, yes I was) and all she said was "Just take it one day at a time." And that's been my motto throughout losing weight . . . and life honestly. One day at a time, small goals here and there, and they WILL add up as long as you stay determined.

And if you fall off a little here and there? So what! We're only humans. That's the beauty of taking each day as a fresh start -- even if you mess up yesterday, today is a new day.

Best of luck, and MFP is filled with great motivators to help keep you on track!
  • You need to think about why you want to lose weight and be really specific about it and the positive things it will bring. I have over 100lbs to lose and I know it's daunting to start, so break it down into smaller goals. So I know to get to my goal weight I need to lose about 2lbs a week. I then try and set my exercise and calories to meet that goal. I also set myself little random goals for each week e.g this week in switching from normal tea to green tea! These small changes will build up into a big change :-) so think about why you're doing this and break your goals into smaller chunks so you can figure out a plan to get where you want to go :-)
  • Motivation comes and goes. You need to establish good habits so that just doing it is the norm, whether you feel motivated or not. If you wait for motivation, it will never happen. You need to decide whether it is something you want to do or not, and then do it, no matter how you feel.