Body Fat or BMI?

2»

Replies

• I was measured by a trainer and competitive bodybuilder. He used the caliper method several places....he flat out told me I will never be a healthy BMI.....

That makes no sense-as you lose weight your bmi will go down. At some point it will enter the normal/healthy range. Is he telling you that you won't lose weight? If you get your weight down to to 134lbs, you'll be at the high point of a normal/healthy bmi. That's a 61lb loss and is very doable. That guy is full of woo :p

He didnt mean i wouldnt lose weight, he meant with my body composition i will always read high on the BMI chart. He told me that my goal should be to not lose any or very little LBM bc its really hard to gain it back.....so focus on high protein diet/weight lifting etc.....

Yeah, he's full of woo :p
  • My doctor told me that BMI is not useful for anyone athletic. Many athletes have BMIs in the obese range, due to muscle mass.

Body fat percentage is a more accurate picture of your body comp, though this is more complicated to measure yourself. The solution is to pick a method (whether scale, caliper, etc) and then watch the trend. The actual number is less important than the fact that it is decreasing.
  • Hornsby wrote: »
    I was measured by a trainer and competitive bodybuilder. He used the caliper method several places....he flat out told me I will never be a healthy BMI.....

Calipers are pretty dicey and rely heavily on the skill of the person taking the measurements. I wouldn't put too much faith in those numbers. Just focus on dropping the lbs right now. There is a long road ahead and no need to complicate it right now with something that really doesn't matter at this point.

Just my opinion.

^^This