Flab abs

I don't want to lose weight overall, but I want to get rid of the belly flab. Should I go for cardio or pilates/strength training??? SO confused @_@

Replies

• You may find this worthwhile.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

That's not to say to do exactly what she did, but it might set you on a good path.
  • Don't we all. But you cannot spot reduce. Design a strength training/ weight lifting program 3-4 X per week for all major muscle groups. Lifting weights burns fat faster than cardio. And be patient. I'm toned everywhere but my stomach. If you were to see a pic of just my stomach area, you'd swear I'm overweight, but I weigh 120 and am 5'4".
  • Thank you so much! and I;m in that space right now....not toned exactly, but my stomach is the only area with 'visible' fat -3-
  • slp51 wrote: »
    Don't we all. But you cannot spot reduce. Design a strength training/ weight lifting program 3-4 X per week for all major muscle groups. Lifting weights burns fat faster than cardio. And be patient. I'm toned everywhere but my stomach. If you were to see a pic of just my stomach area, you'd swear I'm overweight, but I weigh 120 and am 5'4".

Very much this. Fat comes off where it will. Heavy lifting is definitely the right step to take, it will get you on your way to body recomp. Bellies are a problem area for a lot of people, myself included. I'm 5'7" and 121 lbs, with a flat stomach, but you can't see much ab definition on me, because my skin stretched with my two pregnancies and didn't bounce back very well. Ab definition shows through on people in competitions and movies because they've cut weight and dehydrated prior to the show, and when you see them in regular daily life, they don't look like that. For people to have massive ab definition, they spend hours doing pretty intensive ab and weight work.
    Try the weights, do some body recomp, and see what you think. Learn to like what you end up with.
  • The reason I ask is that I live in a hostel and don't have the option of following a paleo diet or making my own food...My choices are limited to what is available in the mess and (being Indian) it's heavy carb meals. So it's not that I want defined abs or anything like that, I know that I have to lose a little more "flab" in order to become healthy and I wanted to know the best way how :) thank you for all the suggestions ^_^