Calculating your RDI - why so different between programs?

I've noticed that MFP tells me my recommended daily intake should be 1730 calories per day to lose 1 lb/wk while both Fatsecret and Calorie King tell me it should be 2300 calories per day to lose 1 lb/wk. That's a big difference! Anyone have thoughts on why MFP is so much less than the other two?

Replies

• Do the others include an activity level that MFP isn't?

Or exercise.

MFP uses the NEAT method, which is set up so earn and then eat your exercise calories back. It's possible the other sites already include your exercise in your activity level, and therefore you won't "earn" extra calories throughout the day.
  • MFP is designed to have you log your exercise calories. If you take the MFP number and add the exercise calories, you will get a number that is close to what the other sites are giving you. I would be more concerned about the difference in numbers between the other two sites, since they don't tell you how much exercise they are assuming you are putting in.

Or exercise.

MFP uses the NEAT method, which is set up so earn and then eat your exercise calories back. It's possible the other sites already include your exercise in your activity level, and therefore you won't "earn" extra calories throughout the day.

Beat me to it.

If I had to guess, Fatsecret and Calorie King might use the TDEE method and MFP uses NEAT. TDEE is the same calorie amount everyday, assumes that you exercise the same everyday, therefore doesn't have you eat back your calories. NEAT adjusts your calories based upon your activity level, adds your exercise on top off your goal, and has you eat your exercise calories back.
  • FWIW, the maintenance given by those other two sites is much, much higher -- like 600 calories a day higher -- than my spreadsheet says would be my maintenance level.