Fitbit Flex vs. Fitbit Charge HR

Hi all.

I have had my Fitbit Flex for a couple of years now. I absolutely love everything about it.

However, my birthday is coming up, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Charge HR. I'm just working on losing weight right now, and I use the Fitbit as more of a motivator more than a 100% accurate tool. But I don't have a heart rate monitor right now, and the Charge HR has me intrigued.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about the Charge HR - hardly any battery life, causing pain and rashes, etc. That's why I wanted to check in here to see if anyone has first-hand experience.

Is it worth swapping out my Flex and paying the money for the Charge HR?

I scanned the first ten pages or so of the forum and didn't see an answer to my question. However, since repetitive topic creation is a problem, feel free to link me if this discussion has taken place already. Either way, thanks for your help!

Replies

• Im watching for feedback to help me make a choice. I wish I had more input.
  • I didn't have a flex, and went straight for the CHR.

I haven't had any skin reactions, and where it unless I'm in water or it's charging. I find I charge it about 2x a week, maybe 1.5 times. I have it set to only sync when I tell it to, which saves on battery life.

I can't speak as to whether the HR portion is really accurate or not - I have never used a chest strap, and the idea doesn't appeal to me. However, I've been using the fitbit's caloric burn + MFP food input to keep within a deficit, and the weight has been coming off (except for the two week hiatus I took and gained those 5 lbs back... Ugh... but that's my fault, not the fitbit's fault).

I do find that the HR reading will help me push up into the higher HR range while running, just so I can see the "peak" line on my dashboard after going for a run. I also like that once I push the "workout" button, it automatically takes all the metrics for me - time, distance, pace, etc. I do a mix of lifting and running, so it's a little less useful during lifting sessions, but it still times me, measures my heart rate, my steps between sets and gives me a calories burned (usually around 100 for lifting, but I walk a lot between sets).

All in all, I am a fan, but really have nothing to compare it to.
  • I had the flex, bow got the HR, so glad I bought the HR! Is so much better xx
  • I have the Charge HR. I haven't had any problems with rashes or irritation from the band. I wear it all the time except when showering or doing dishes. The heart rate measurement seems to be pretty accurate. In the middle of a workout I've compared it to both the manual heart rate measurement and what it says on the treadmill and it's usually no more than 5 beats off. For me the battery life is fine unless I put it in workout mode and forgot to turn that off :smile: I usually have it in workout mode for 6 or 7 hours a week and charge it maybe 2 times a week.
  • Thank you so much for all of your answers so far, everyone. I appreciate it.

For those of you who use the Charge HR - do you still log your exercise with MFP? Or do you just use the calories recommended by the Charge's HRM, and do the usual calories in, calories out?
  • I'm interested too as I'm thinking about the HR one. Seeing my HR helps me know if I'm really at the limit or if I can still push on. I should be able to do that in my own head, but it gets ugly in here. :(
  • Cool, thanks!

I'm feeling pretty good about getting one now.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I have the Charge HR and I wore it a few weeks and never had the pain or rash people talk about until one day I fell asleep with my hand under my head and slept this way for about an hour with my head pushing the Charge HR into my arm...after I woke up I had a terrible pain in my arm....thought it may go away but I had to take it off. Left it off a few days and put it back on and no pain at all. I also recommend wearing it loosely like they recommend. I think wearing it too tight could cause pain.
    Keep the all day sync and the caller id off and the battery lasts much longer.
    Oh I have the flex too and I like the Charge HR so much better. So much more information.