MFP Helped Stop Hairloss

Unknown
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Ive been suffering from Hairloss for years now, more and more recently. I stopped de tangling my hair in the shower and that helped from my hair being ripped out but what about regrowing my hair? I did some research on what causes hair loss and one thing I found interesting was that lack of sufficient iron in your diet can cause Hairloss. Figuring out if I was iron defficient was a snap. I was already tracking my daily food intake using My Fitness Pal ; the nutrition feature breaks down your vitamin intake from your food. Low and behold , on a daily basis I was only consuming on average 30% of my iron goal. I started taking iron supplements and my hair is growing in! Thank you My Fitness Pal!

Replies

• I hope that's gonna work for me too. I was a *bit* low according to the doctor. sigh. Biotin, zinc, and iron supplements trying to not go bald. :X
  • Yay! Hairloss is a big part of iron deficiency. Other than the tiredness it's a big symptom. I had it when I was a teenager. Glad your hair is regrowing!
  • @gothchiq let's cross our fingers ! @UltimateRBF thank you! Couldn't be happier :)
  • I do feel overtired... and I already take the right dose of thyroid meds. Sigh... so complicated! Knocking on wood for both of us!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I'm hoping mine will improve with iron too. I heard your ferritin level needs to be mid to upper normal range for optimal growth for hair follicles. I've had recurring anaemia for decades and been on 400mg per day of ferrous sulphate for last 12 weeks but no improvement on hair thinning and loss yet. I've also been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (also contributed to hair loss) which I know I've had for at least 5 years and early menopause (you guessed it, another contributor to hair loss). Started eating a variety of nuts and seeds in the hope this also helps. Be really interested in anything that people find helps or works with hair thinning. I'm veggie otherwise I'd be eating loads of liver!