Wondering how much weight I can actually lose

Anyone else feel like this? I've been chubby my entire life and I've always assumed that I just "have that body type" and will always be a little overweight. But now that I've gotten serious about losing weight I'm starting to wonder how much weight I can actually lose!
SW: 175
CW: 157
GW: No idea now!

My first goal weight is to be under 150 but I'm not sure where to go from there. I guess I'll just keep going until I feel satisfied with how I look

Replies

• How tall are you
  • You can get an estimate goal weight, assuming you're lifting and exercising you can go by this chart.

body-fat-percentage-women-abs-and-bossom.jpg

So look at the picture pic a similar body fat% as yours. Lets say yours is 30%. You need to find your LBM(lean body mass) this is your total mass with out any fat on it.

So 157 * .30 = 47lbs of fat on you

157 - 47 = 110lbs of LBM

SO pick a goal weight body fat% based on the pictures, lets say it's 20%. You do 110/(1-.20) = 137lbs, this should be your goal weight.
  • I'm 5'7

I've looked at charts online about what weight range I can fall into but I don't ever see myself for example being in the 130's simply because I don't think I have that small of a frame compared to a lot of girls I see
  • There are charts for ideal body weight. Depends on height/sex, usually about a 30lb range.
  • I was 237 and just wanted to get to 200... Made that easy and kept going. Got to 169 and decided to put a little weight back on. So the limit is simply where you want to end up :wink:
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    im 5'9 and when i was 137lbs i looked like the 15-17% range and i was a size 2-4, i don't want to be that again. Im back up to 160 and look like the 25-30% range but i would prefer the 20-22% i think for my frame that would be 145-150lbs.
  • I'm 5'7

I've looked at charts online about what weight range I can fall into but I don't ever see myself for example being in the 130's simply because I don't think I have that small of a frame compared to a lot of girls I see

I am not sure if you understand the chart I posted. Yes a lot of charts online usually use BMI(Body Mass Index). This is okay, but there are some problems with it. People who have larger frames(more muscle) will be considered over weight. I believe MIcheal Jordan and Tiger Woods are considered Over weight based on the BMI charts, also people who exercise will usually be considered over weight based on BMI. Muscle has a higher density than fat. This means that muscle takes up more weight for the same volume. So you will "weigh" more, which can make it appear that you're over weight based on the BMI.

The chart I posted has NOTHING to do with weight. It has to do with Body fat %. THe more fat you have, the fatter you are, it's that simple. This is true regardless of how much muscle mass you have or lack.

WIth the chart I posted, people 2 people who have the same body fat will usually look the same. If one person weighs more they will just look "bigger" in terms of muscle, not in fat. I believe the best way to determine your goal weight is based on body fat. As I said, the fatter you are the more body fat you have.

If your goal is like 130lbs, and you lose a lot of muscle during your weight loss, you'd still be fat. If you go by body fat%, you can set goals to be "less fat".

So if I was you, I'd go through the calculations to get an estimate of your goal weight.
  • Pu_239 wrote: »
    I'm 5'7

I am not sure if you understand the chart I posted. Yes a lot of charts online usually use BMI(Body Mass Index). This is okay, but there are some problems with it. People who have larger frames(more muscle) will be considered over weight. I believe MIcheal Jordan and Tiger Woods are considered Over weight based on the BMI charts, also people who exercise will usually be considered over weight based on BMI. Muscle has a higher density than fat. This means that muscle takes up more weight for the same volume. So you will "weigh" more, which can make it appear that you're over weight based on the BMI.

The chart I posted has NOTHING to do with weight. It has to do with Body fat %. THe more fat you have, the fatter you are, it's that simple. This is true regardless of how much muscle mass you have or lack.

WIth the chart I posted, people 2 people who have the same body fat will usually look the same. If one person weighs more they will just look "bigger" in terms of muscle, not in fat. I believe the best way to determine your goal weight is based on body fat. As I said, the fatter you are the more body fat you have.

If your goal is like 130lbs, and you lose a lot of muscle during your weight loss, you'd still be fat. If you go by body fat%, you can set goals to be "less fat".

So if I was you, I'd go through the calculations to get an estimate of your goal weight.

When I commented earlier I wasn't referring to your post! I was on my phone and I guess your comment never went through there, I see it now that I'm on my laptop. I was just answering the question about how tall I am and was making a random comment about other charts I've seen.

That chart does make sense, thank you for posting it! Definitely very helpful and puts things in a much better perspective for me!