In 78 days, I've lost 163lbs... But I'm not done yet!

(Originally Posted 4/9/15)
I've been heavy since I was a kid, and since Junior High my weight steadily crept up higher and higher until my Junior year in High School. Since then I've become a Professional Yo-Yo Dieter dropping significant weight, only to plateau and gain it all back within a couple years. :/

By the time I turned 26 late last year, enough was enough. I wasn't at my max weight, but I wasn't happy, and my body was paying the price of nearly 20 years of being overweight. I was getting pain in places I'd never felt it before, I kept on re-injuring my ankles, and I started getting stiffness and pain in my right knee. Exercising was off the table for now, and I knew that the only control I had was my diet.

By the time Lent rolled around I had all the tools: A fridge full of fruits and vegetables, a Garmin VivoSmart, and MyFitnessPal. I set MFP to the max 2lb/week, and from there I attempted to cut out even more calories. I tried to eat a mainly vegan diet, with some animal protein and dairy peppered in here and there. The first couple weeks, I jumpstarted my journey with only Green Smoothies and Raw Soups, and as the 40 (really 46 including Sundays) days went on, I gradually added solid foods.

I started weighing myself after the first week, and I saw the pounds dropping fast. Much faster than I'd ever seen before. So I kept on eating healthy, and I had a number in mind... 100lb by Easter Sunday. Could I do it? I kept my calorie intake between 1500-1700 calories everyday, and ate lots of healthy foods that would fill me up with little calories. I cut out coffee, alcohol (not that I drank that much anyway), pop, and pretty much every drink that wasn't water. During this time I upped my water intake to at least 10 8fl/oz cups per day, but shooting for more if I could handle it.

On Easter Sunday (4/5/15), I had lost 105lb:
c92ldqxgv8b4.png

Now that Easter has come and gone, I've re-evaluated my goals a little bit. I've reintroduced some animal protein into my diet, and I'm allowing myself to eat closer to 1900 calories (for now). This week, I'm dabbling in some Intermittent Fasting, seeing if the fed state/famine state will help me burn more fat.

I promised my mom that I would drop another 50lb by her birthday (May 2), and I'm well on my way. As of today, I've lost 110lb, and just over 3 weeks to go. I will slowly re-incorporate exercise into my daily routine, but I've still got nagging injuries, and I want my body to properly heal. I hope to get into the swimming pool for some laps by the middle of this month.

My only regret is not starting this journey sooner. I wish everyone luck, and I hope that we all hit our goals. A healthy life is a better life! :)

(Originally Posted 4/22/15)
Started riding my bicycle last week, but got sidelined this week due to nagging foot injuries. I've been trying to stay close to 1800 calories per day, and I've been underreporting my weight loss to MFP because I don't quite believe it.

I now weigh less than I did when I was in Junior High School nearly 15 years ago.

Soon I'll add some weight training to help get rid of some inches. I want to start swimming so I can keep it really low impact. I'm starting to fit into some old clothes, and even some clothes I got in Jr. High that I could never fit in.

I don't think I look all that different yet, but I guess I'll have to take another progress picture to compare.

According to my scale, I've hit my May 3rd goal, and I still have 11 days left.

s4otmx34efy4.png

(Originally Posted 5/4/15)
Part 2 of my health journey has elapsed. Last month during Easter, I promised my mom that I would lose 50 more pounds by her birthday. Unfortunately I didn't keep that promise because I lost 55lbs. ‪Sorry Mom!

This past month has been a lot more challenging than during Lent. I allowed myself to indulge more during weekends and events while my allowed calories dropped everyday due to my weight loss. I still ate healthy whole foods most of the time, and I practiced intermittent fasting. Last weekend was a huge test with 3 separate events (2 in the same day!) that were full of indulgent foods.

I was able to add a bit of exercise to my routine, and even though I still have nagging injuries, I hope to ramp up the physical activity in this next leg of my journey.

Every couple weeks, I like trying on clothes that I last wore 10-15 years ago. Even though the styles might not be relevant anymore, it gives me goals. If I can fit into it, I'm happy. If I can't, it pushes me to get to the point when I can.
This next part will be even harder with many events in the coming weeks. With summertime fast approaching, I hope to continue on this trajectory. I look forward to the challenge!

(Today 5/6/15)
I've been dropping pants sizes pretty quickly (seems like it's been 1 size every week lately), but the gut isn't lessening as quick as I'd like! I started out wearing 2XL shirts and I'm still wearing them now, but the slim-cut versions fit well now and I don't have to pull my pants up to my navel to cover my stomach. For half my life, I've worn a 2XL shirt (with a couple years in High School in a 3XL) I'm excited for the day when I can finally wear an XL without looking like I'm going to explode out of it.

I've been taking progress pics at each of my goal days, and when seeing them next to each other I do see a difference. I'm not ready to share those quite yet, as I still have a ways to go.

My next goal day will be on Father's Day 2015, which also happens to be my 1/2 birthday. I hope by then I will reach the mythical "Onederland" and that my body has healed enough that regular exercise is possible for me. I will update this thread often, and hopefully I can inspire others to reach their health goals.

aul182knm2ay.png

Replies

• Wow. Nice!
  • I love it! You are inspiring! How do you do the fasting? Did it step your weight loss up?
  • momfia1of8 wrote: »
    I love it! You are inspiring! How do you do the fasting? Did it step your weight loss up?

I would just have a couple glasses of water for breakfast, and then eat full meals for lunch and dinner.

I guess it stepped up, but my diet before the Intermittent Fasting was radically different than what it was prior so it's hard to say. I would say that it at least helped my weight loss stay consistent.
  • Great job man! But I still don't see how you could lose 163lbs in 2 1/2 months even eating just 1700 calories?.
  • So you had a deficit of 6482 calories each day after eating 1700? :/
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    May I ask what your starting weight was?
  • jonnie256 wrote: »
    Great job man! But I still don't see how you could lose 163lbs in 2 1/2 months even eating just 1700 calories?.
    I was wondering that too. I'm bad at math, but it's not adding up. Not that I'm trying to minimize
  • BinkyBonk wrote: »
    jonnie256 wrote: »
    Great job man! But I still don't see how you could lose 163lbs in 2 1/2 months even eating just 1700 calories?.
    I was wondering that too. I'm bad at math, but it's not adding up. Not that I'm trying to minimize

You can't lose that type of weight, not in that short amount of time, gastric bypass patients don't lose weight like that. I guess I am just a skeptic, I went through a depression and didn't eat anything at all, or hardly anything and it took me 5 months to lose 60 pounds (I wasn't trying to either)

• Somebody's pants are on fire. There is no way you can lose 163 pounds in 2 1/2 months. That's 65 pounds/month. Nice try. How about being honest this time?
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    jonnie256 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm calling BS on this one. He'd have to have a TDEE of around 8,000. If he's tall, say 6'5" then he'd have to weigh something like 600lbs....and have a lowish body fat %.

If I'm wrong, I apologise, but I'm smelling a troll.
  • May I ask what your starting weight was?

For his numbers to add up his starting weight would have to have been around 1,562 pounds, give or take a pound or two
  • You mentioned fasting and Lent so I take it you're a Christian right? If so then let me remind you that fasting is normally from the night before till 12pm (if you cannot go without food for the usual time) and no strictly only water with no food. Or full fast which is till 6pm, again with no food at all and only water. Or you can dry fast without even water.
    I don't know, something sounds fishy to me and no pics to show us your progress only profile pic. I started this journey in January, lost 4kg by March, that was with no help at all. From March till today I have lost 10kg but that with no carbs. You don't have an open diary so we cannot see what you were eating or your exercise.
    I'm sorry but your story sounds untrue. Not inspiring at all but really making me angry if you are fibbing cos there are some of us really putting our hearts and souls into getting healthy and we don't need someone pretending to be a success story. Its like one lady that wrote in a magazine that she 83kg and fitting into UK size 12, impossible!!!!!
    Honesty is the best policy. If you truly have done what you claim I challenge you to open your diary and let us see. If you don't then its proof you are making it all up. Good luck!!!
  • I've been reading through the forums to get inspiration, and it took a lot of courage for me to post my own story. I'm really offended that so many are quick to call me a liar. I've put so much work into this health journey that all of the hate really hurts. I wasn't ready to post pictures because I'm still a work in progress and I feel like I still have a long way to go, but I'll post one to curb the naysayers.

I've also been skeptical of what the scale has been saying since it was moving downward so fast, but I've been using the same Taylor scale this entire journey.

0888v44zpje7.png

Here's my MFP weight chart from the last 3 months:
    lkr8jysiivod.jpg

I started 2/18/15 at 400, and my last weigh-in on 5/4/15 was 237. "Big cut" 2XL shirts were starting to get tight in the beginning, and now I'm swimming in "regular cut" 2XLs. I was wearing a size 58 pants around my gut, and it was starting to get snug, and now I'm in-between a 44 and 42 size jeans worn under my gut.

I didn't want to post a picture yet because I feel like I haven't lost much weight in my stomach area, and I felt self conscious. I still have a lot of weight to lose, and I feel like I could be doing better.
  • Could you open up your diary please? Just something doesn't add up. Thanks for adding the pics and you look fantastic but losing that much weight in 2 1/2 months just seems off. Did you happen to have any surgery? Losing 65 pounds/month (on average) just sounds insane. Never be afraid to post pictures of yourself. We're all in the same boat. I have pictures too on my open profile. Went down from 297 to 245 and that's taken months. Very curious as to what your daily food regimen looks like. An open diary would help out immensely.
  • KptCirk wrote: »
    Could you open up your diary please? Just something doesn't add up. Thanks for adding the pics and you look fantastic but losing that much weight in 2 1/2 months just seems off. Did you happen to have any surgery? Losing 65 pounds/month (on average) just sounds insane. Never be afraid to post pictures of yourself. We're all in the same boat. I have pictures too on my open profile. Went down from 297 to 245 and that's taken months. Very curious as to what your daily food regimen looks like. An open diary would help out immensely.

Please know that we aren't trying to take away from your victory, I'm sorry if you feel offended, we are just trying to figure out how you managed to do this. I would love to see your diary too.
  • Perfect example of "Weight Loss is %80. Food Intake and %20. Exercise Great Job.... Keep it UP....
  • KptCirk wrote: »
    Could you open up your diary please? Just something doesn't add up. Thanks for adding the pics and you look fantastic but losing that much weight in 2 1/2 months just seems off. Did you happen to have any surgery? Losing 65 pounds/month (on average) just sounds insane. Never be afraid to post pictures of yourself. We're all in the same boat. I have pictures too on my open profile. Went down from 297 to 245 and that's taken months. Very curious as to what your daily food regimen looks like. An open diary would help out immensely.

Please know that we aren't trying to take away from your victory, I'm sorry if you feel offended, we are just trying to figure out how you managed to do this. I would love to see your diary too.
    +1
    You can understand with such a rapid weight loss that people are incredulous. We're not calling you a liar, just trying to make sense of it is all.

• wow fantastic please tell me what you did ...
  • geotrice wrote: »
    So you had a deficit of 6482 calories each day after eating 1700? :/

Right... a metabolism greater than an Olympian. :neutral:

• WOW that's awesome!! Congrats and keep up the good work :)