Stitches in the gym

I know that stitches (that sharp pain in your side you can get when exercising) are caused by a build up of lactic acid which is produced when your body is undergoing anaerobic respiration, which it does when your body doesn't have enough oxygen to get the energy it needs to the muscles which need it. What I want to know is this: is the lactic acid produced when fat is burned? So is pushing myself to the point of getting a stitch a good thing (considering that I do slow down and get some air if I get a stitch), or should I take it slower so I don't get them?

Replies

• I don't think that a stitch really means anything in terms of how much fat you're burning. All it does is stop you exercising as you have to take a break, so in that sense, it's probably best to try and avoid it.

It's also not necessarily caused by lactic acid, or pushing yourself too hard. There are ways to prevent it or lower the chances of getting one which you may not have thought of:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/four-ways-stop-dreaded-side-stitch
  • I find that I'm more apt to getting a side stitch if I'm breathing from my belly instead of from my chest. When I first started running, I got them almost every time for the first few weeks until I made sure that I breath from my chest. They have almost completely disappeared since.
  • Warm up properly, drink plenty of fluids during your workout & if you feel like you're getting cramp in your side take a breather, stretch it out, breathe deeply & when it subsides get back to it.

It's got nothing to do with fat burning, unfortunately, it's just simple over-exertion.
  • Snitches get...

...Oh that's probably not what you're talking about.
  • If you get a stitch you can't work out as effectively so best to avoid it
  • My gym teacher used to tell us to make sure we were breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. Always seems to work for me.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    RedRaven49 wrote: »
    I know that stitches (that sharp pain in your side you can get when exercising) are caused by ...

I'd suggest you start by re-examining what you think you "know", right?

• RedRaven49 wrote: »
    I know that stitches (that sharp pain in your side you can get when exercising) are caused by ...

I'd suggest you start by re-examining what you think you "know", right?

Don't be a jerk. People make mistakes. I'm glad there are people on this forum who can correct mine.
  • spyro88 wrote: »
    It's also not necessarily caused by lactic acid, or pushing yourself too hard. There are ways to prevent it or lower the chances of getting one which you may not have thought of:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/four-ways-stop-dreaded-side-stitch

Thanks, that was pretty useful! Will have to try that tip about exhaling as you land on the opposite foot.
  • Warm up properly, drink plenty of fluids during your workout & if you feel like you're getting cramp in your side take a breather, stretch it out, breathe deeply & when it subsides get back to it.

It's got nothing to do with fat burning, unfortunately, it's just simple over-exertion.

If it's over-exertion, can I train my body to get used to working out at that level to the point where I won't get a stitch, or is that a too simplified way of looking at it?