Body Fat Images

Came across these images for women at different Body Fat Percentages.
Seems more accurate than other images i've seen for BF.
What do you Guys think?
3te8kxb6ff7v.jpg

Replies

• Maybe it's just me, but the 36-40% pic looks leaner than the 27-29% and the 30-35% ones...probably just the way she's standing with her hands covering the love handles tho.
  • This looks less accurate than others I have seen.
  • I agree that these are more accurate. I also have found that the ones I linked to here are useful.
  • @jemhh that blog post is set to private
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    @jemhh that blog post is set to private

@ruggedshutter I think I've fixed it now. Mind checking?

Maybe "more accurate" isn't the right term. Hmm. There is one chart that is posted a lot that I think is way off and then another that I think is reasonably accurate.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    jemhh wrote: »
    I agree that these are more accurate. I also have found that the ones I linked to here are useful.

Thanks for the link!
    It's good to see people who've actually had their BF tested via the Dexa scan.

• The biggest problem with putting out a visual of body fat percentage is that the amount of lean mass you have will make it look different. I have very high lean mass, so my body fat percentage looks higher than it is. There is no "give" to my body. The fat sits on top of the muscles.

Another issue is that we don't all carry weight the same. I actually encourage people to evaluate how they look in a mirror and how their body feels. If it feels firm and looks lean, does it matter what your body fat percentage really is?
  • usmcmp wrote: »
    The biggest problem with putting out a visual of body fat percentage is that the amount of lean mass you have will make it look different. I have very high lean mass, so my body fat percentage looks higher than it is. There is no "give" to my body. The fat sits on top of the muscles.

Another issue is that we don't all carry weight the same. I actually encourage people to evaluate how they look in a mirror and how their body feels. If it feels firm and looks lean, does it matter what your body fat percentage really is?

I would agree with this. I put that list of DEXA scanned images together after seeing a couple of threads started by women who wrote that they were shocked or embarrassed to have 25% or 26% body fat. If I remember right, one had been very happy with her overall look until she saw the number, when in reality 26% is completely healthy. Also, I'm always wary of the body fat charts because I wonder who made them and how did they decide that Person A was 20% body fat, Person B was 25%, etc.

• jemhh wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The biggest problem with putting out a visual of body fat percentage is that the amount of lean mass you have will make it look different. I have very high lean mass, so my body fat percentage looks higher than it is. There is no "give" to my body. The fat sits on top of the muscles.

I would agree with this. I put that list of DEXA scanned images together after seeing a couple of threads started by women who wrote that they were shocked or embarrassed to have 25% or 26% body fat. If I remember right, one had been very happy with her overall look until she saw the number, when in reality 26% is completely healthy. Also, I'm always wary of the body fat charts because I wonder who made them and how did they decide that Person A was 20% body fat, Person B was 25%, etc.

Some of them (especially the most widely used one) are put together by trainers with many years of experience. These trainers have generally used calipers for many years and evaluated body fat by the 3 site, 7 site and 9 site methods. Although calipers are not necessarily the most accurate, the general trend over many clients would give them a very good idea of what body fat is by sight. Trainers have watched competitions and can see if their client is leaner than another even if it is only a difference of 2%.

I prefer mirror. I use calipers to monitor if my loss during competition prep is mostly fat. This helps me make adjustments to my diet to continue the fat loss or slow the lean mass loss. No matter what the calipers say, the only thing that matters when I take stage is how I look.
    The biggest problem with putting out a visual of body fat percentage is that the amount of lean mass you have will make it look different.

Agree 100%. The examples in the low BF% categories are carrying way more lean mass than I am so my abs sure don't look like that... although I am apparently around 17 - 18%. I just look bony rather than muscular.
  • ythannah wrote: »
    The biggest problem with putting out a visual of body fat percentage is that the amount of lean mass you have will make it look different.

Agree 100%. The examples in the low BF% categories are carrying way more lean mass than I am so my abs sure don't look like that... although I am apparently around 17 - 18%. I just look bony rather than muscular.

I like to post this one sometimes when body fat percentage comes up.
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg
  • Every time I see this picture I wonder where the 41% - 49% example is. :|
  • Every time I see this picture I wonder where the 41% - 49% example is. :|
    for real! that is a HUGE jump between 40% and 50%
    ythannah wrote: »

Wow! Mind blowing and eye opening
  • I always wonder about these. I'd like to see a set of accurately measured ppl (a few per percentage) posed similarly (anatomic maybe) sans fancy lighting or photoshop. All of these look like someone just cropped lingerie photos :/

Wow! Mind blowing and eye opening

That's the most helpful thing I've seen, because every time I've done a caliper measurement (which I know aren't perfect, but still) it indicates I'm at a BF% that makes me look NOTHING like the women in the first post, but this second photo shows it's because I don't have a lot of muscle mass and I'm not necessarily just deluding myself, haha.
  • I would agree - I suppose it depends on how you hold your weight though. I'm
    In the 27-29% category and that does look quite similar to my tummy!

Oh, MUCH better!
  • I think the 15% pic on the right looks much nicer. I also like the 24% one more than the lesser ones. I think a little bit of curves looks sexier and more feminine
  • star1407 wrote: »
    I think the 15% pic on the right looks much nicer. I also like the 24% one more than the lesser ones. I think a little bit of curves looks sexier and more feminine

That's great that you have your opinions and managed to not say nasty things about the body types you do not prefer. I prefer to be under 24% and I look like the 15% on the left. I feel very sexy and feminine with the low body fat.