Help!!! How to prevent and treat kidney infections without antibiotics?

2»

Replies

• Please go and see a doctor asap. I put off visiting my gp for almost 6 weeks thinking I had just got a uti and I could treat it at home but after collapsing with severe pain in my back I was taken into hospital with a severe kidney infection. After being put on a intravenous antibiotic drip I was told I was too late and the kidney was too infected to be saved. Trust me no amount of inconvenient traffic or lack of time is worth loosing your kidney for.
    Another point I would also like to make is I find drinking plenty of water keeps these sorts of infections away. If you are not sure if you are drinking enough double what you are drinking now and you are probably closer to what you should be drinking. I thought I used to drink a lot until my recent problems and then discovered it was nowhere near enough. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  • @jorinya , glad to hear it was a false alarm. Hydration, baby! Also, thanks for asking over my daughter but she's fine; a fit, vital woman and the mother of my granddaughter.

Her congenital defect has to do with the shape and angle of the urinary tract from the kidneys. It was a little "off" so it tended to leak. The surgeon reassured me that my daughter would outgrow this defect and it would correct itself.
  • sazah1978 wrote: »
    Another point I would also like to make is I find drinking plenty of water keeps these sorts of infections away. If you are not sure if you are drinking enough double what you are drinking now and you are probably closer to what you should be drinking. I thought I used to drink a lot until my recent problems and then discovered it was nowhere near enough. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks very much. Going to go for a full check-up on Saturday. I guess I'm not drinking enough. The heat here is too much, even at night. I have a huge bottle of water beside my bed. Will drink more, that's a promise!! Maybe I will go see one of the senior doctors this time round, perhaps go for a scan of my kidneys and liver, see if there something wrong. Even though nothing showed up this time not going to take the risk.

• You can find cranberry pills at the drugstore and those might have lower sugar than the cranberry cocktail most people buy. If you actually have an infection go get treated by a doctor ASAP. Kidney infections rarely will just happen at random.....generally it starts by a bladder infection and works its way up the longer it goes untreated.