Looking for help with quinoa.

2»

Replies

• Quinoa naturally has a bitter coating. Most commercially available quinoa will have been rinsed to take care of this - i have NEVER noticed a bitter flavor - but it may be that your brand still needs rinsing. Might want to google about rinsing quinoa.

I typically use it as a rice substitute. I boil 1 part quinoa in 2 parts water, adding a little bacon grease, salt, and pepper. Once it's boiling, i cover the pan and turn off the heat, and let it set for fifty minutes. Once it's done, i fluff it, and use it as rice. You can add some veggies to it during the boil, or as it comes off the heat for things that shouldn't cook too long (e.g. zucchini).

I prep my meals in advance. Often, i'll do a stir fry or make up a crock pot of stew. I put a scoop of cooked quinoa in the container, and top it with stew or stir fry. It freezes and reheats well.

I'll also cook up a crock pot full of chicken and veggies. Once it's done, i'll add some cooked quinoa to it and let it set for twenty minutes to absorb some flavors.
  • I'm sorry this happened to you, but you may have chosen an odd recipe. I feel like its more of a rice subsitute, so I'd start over with that. I honestly didn't look up a recipe for the first time and did something I normally do with rice:

Rinsed the Quinoa, Melted butter in a pan and poured in the quinoa and sauteed it for a couple minutes. Added water then boiled it. While it was boiling, I sauté onion, peppers, and turkey smoked sausage (Oscar Meyer Brand) seasoned with pepper, garlic, and cajun spice. Then I pour that mixture over the quinoa like its rice. Oh, and I added Parmesan to taste because I personally think its better that way.

• Quinoa. I can't. Not sure if it's the texture or what, but I have tried quinoa a couple times and I just can NOT eat it.
  • I love these Quinoa chipotle "meat"balls and I freeze them into portions for quick lunches.
    QuinoaChipotleMeatballs.jpg&h=400&w=590&q=100

Or this Quinoa fiesta enchilada bake which I also cut and freeze into portions for easy grab and go meals.
    Fiesta-Quinoa-Enchilada-Casserole.jpg
  • I cooked quinoa a few nights ago and was reminded that I dont like it. I also made the following recipe so I mixed my quinoa with the veggies and it was delicious that way.

http://ifoodreal.com/garlic-parmesan-zucchini-and-tomato-bake/
  • Quinoa stir fry is a weekly meal in my house. Cook it per directions, then fry it up in sesame oil with delicious veggies and protein. BAM. (I personally recommend broccoli & steak, or salmon and spinach combinations)

Also, you can cook it in chicken broth rather than water to up the flavor profile a bit in savory dishes.
    Makes an excellent addition to casseroles and soups, IMO. Adds some texture and a hint of nuttiness. Love it mixed with sauteed kale and spinach. It's definitely a bland thing on it's own, though.

I personally have never been a fan of "breakfast quinoa." I'd rather just eat oatmeal. That being said, my bff cooks up quinoa in water, then makes quinoa muffins of all varieties. Her favorite so far was brown butter & zucchini quinoa muffins. I'm sure you can pinterest/google that recipe.
  • I use it in a salad with cucumber, red pepper, spinach, feta, and fresh herbs if I've got them, dressed with balsalmic vinegar.
  • I agree that you have to wash it really well to get rid of off flavors. Then I cook mine in chicken stock and add savory spices, like cumin and garlic powder. If I want a sweeter dish, I add currants and pumpkin pie spices. Both are side dishes. Good question!
  • This is what I eat most mornings
    DSC_0069.jpg
    recipe can be found here http://iowagirleats.com/2012/02/16/mini-ham-cheese-quinoa-cups/

Quinoa porridge was my first exposure to quinoa. It was actually a Chinese-style porridge (congee) where quinoa was subbed out in place of rice.
  • im a vegetarian. quinoa is great, packed with protein. I feel like it's somewhat tender in its quality unlike rice. I think it of more like couscous (which is like rice, but not really lol).
    I like quinoa for a breakfast food. Put some raisins in it or almond milk. Or you can sprinkle it on salad, combine with other grains
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Take cucumbers and cube them small and soak in a nice vinegar for a little until they taste sour than remove, I suggest wine or balsamic, dice tomatoes don't soak, dice onions pick a mild onion green onion or scallion, peas, and chopped basil. Add to cooked quino. You should have a majority of quino to mixture. Add a little Greek dressing not very much, than salt and pepper to taste than let sit in refrigerator up to a day for best results.
  • I really like quinoa...it's a great rice substitute for me but you can use it lots of ways. I always buy the Bob's Red Mill brand--it does NOT need to be rinced (they have a process where they rince and dry the quinoa) and it's always cooked up well for me. One way to use it--tabbouleh salad:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-quinoa-tabbouleh-90136
    Also...when I'm trying to get rid of extra quinoa, I add it to my scrambled egg mixture.
    Almost forgot...there's an excellent quinoa mushroom side dish I made recently by the blog Damndelicious...I'll try to post the link. Totally awesome.
  • Here is my favorite recipe with quinoa:

QUINOA Chicken CHILI

1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
    One (1) 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
    One (1) 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
    Two (2) 16 oz cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
    One (1) 15 oz can of corn, drained (or 2 cups frozen)
    3 Cups chicken stock
    2 large chicken breasts, frozen or thawed (cook longer if frozen)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    2 tsp chili powder

1.) Toss everything into slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-7 hours on high.
    2.) Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    i used to make quinoa in a rice pot! 2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa.

when cooked, transfer to a bowl, stir in 1tbsp olive oil + juice of 1/2 lemon, some salt/pepper. let cool.

then i'd chop up the following and add:
    red pepper, yellow pepper, 1 green onion, coriander (i actually added more coriander because it's my fav), 1/2 cup crumbly feta cheese, salt/pepper to taste, more lemon juice (to your preference). if i wanted to get really fancy, i'd throw in some dried cranberries.

you can use lemon or lime juice; whatever you prefer. the key to making good quinoa is to season to taste so season a bit, stir, taste; add more seasoning if required etc.

chill in fridge for 2hrs. YUM!!