Eating more -> tiredness?

Hi folks. I'm trying to get back up to a healthy weight; ended up dropping lbs thru bad habits & being sick. I'm trying to make myself eat more when I can (but still stick with healthy foods - fruit, veg, &c). But I've noticed that on days when I actually do eat more, I'm way more tired than when I eat "normally" (to the point where other people notice & comment on it). I also get a lot of gas/digestive issues on those days? I've only been able to make myself eat over 1500 Cals a couple times a week the past few, so idk if this is just my body getting used to more food or if it's like a serious issue.

Replies

• Vegetables do make gas if eaten more, I think u should eat fiber amount as MFP tells u not more. For cals even I could have not increase them instantly I tried to increase gradually snacks play more important role in my diary.
  • I've been stuck around 9 stone for years and never gone above it apart from a few pounds but now I'm up to 11 stone after a month or two at eating 3000 calories a day. It's really difficult I find to even fit that amount in a day as it costs money and I run my own business but I have been changing areas of my life such as quitting smoking which has given me some extra money... Before I started putting on the weight from about September last year until a couple months back I had vitamin c tablets each day and omega 3 tablets and that helped me a lot as I have had heart problems in the past also... When I started eating lots I too felt tired and sick and still do somedays especially when I have the protein shakes but I know it's helping and I'm just ploughing through because I'm sure it will be worth it. I'd say vegetables are very good at giving energy but probably would make you gassy like Naintaha said. I'd like to become more of a vegetarian myself so will be trying to eat more but at the moment I try to eat a lot of fish and some meat like chicken as that helps also at giving me energy and pasta and other carbs and bananas :-)
  • Thanks for the advice, you two. I was worried because it seems like everyone tells you that you'll feel better and have more energy right away if you eat more, but it sounds like my situation is fairly normal. I'm vegetarian and avoid dairy, so most of what I'm adding has been vegetables. I guess I'll try to eat more eggs and pasta?

Thanks again! I'm relieved to know I probably haven't totally screwed up my health!
  • Could have thyroid problems or underlying digestion issues. Do you eat large amounts of grains/dairy as well as vegetables? On any medication? Any intolerance or food allergies?