ruptured disc

Hi Everyone, I am 55 and 130kg. I have a ruptured disc in my back that makes walking difficult and sometimes extremely painful. This is an on-going problem that may be around forever. Losing weight of course will help so Im working on that. My question is how many other people have similar problems and are trying to lose weight without being able to exercise much or at all. Would love to hear from you and how you are going.

Replies

• Hi Everyone, I am 55 and 130kg. I have a ruptured disc in my back that makes walking difficult and sometimes extremely painful. This is an on-going problem that may be around forever. Losing weight of course will help so Im working on that. My question is how many other people have similar problems and are trying to lose weight without being able to exercise much or at all. Would love to hear from you and how you are going.

In my late 30s, I had a ruptured disc. I was in bed for 6 weeks in excruciating pain. I thought I would have to have surgery, but fortunately I didn't. Now I am pain free except when I put on pounds and stop doing yoga.

I feel for you and hope things work out for you as well as they have for me.
  • You can definitely lose weight without exercise, but if you're able to walk that's great exercise and also can help with your back. There are specific exercises you can do to stretch out your back which I find helpful.
    I have a delicate back too, and losing weight is THE thing that helped the most. Remember, it's all about the calorie deficit!
  • The only requirement for weight loss is the deficit. My sciatica acts up all the time and you have to work through it (stretching and such).
  • After dealing with a multitude of back issues, and yeah walking at some times painful, I can only tell you movement makes it better. Consult with a knowledgeable doctor regarding what you can do. Maybe it's yoga or swim or recumbent bike. You don't need exercise to lose weight but it helps with overall feeling of well-being.
  • I have a slipped disk and couldn't run for a long time either. You can definitely lose weight without exercise but the thing that helped me most was Pilates and swimming to build up core strength and stretch your spine. Thinking about helping your back instead of seeing it as a limitation has really shifted my perspective. Good luck with your journey!
  • Chiming in with the others, I've had back problems since very young (thanks a lot puberty!) and swimming has always felt best. Obviously don't do it if you have paralysis issues, but it does feel good.

Also, go see a good orthopedist, stay the hell away from chiropractors and osteopaths, burst disks require actual care and a good orthopedist will know safe exercises and might refer you to a good physical therapist.
  • 4 herniated discs here, two lower back and two in neck. I had to chuckle at crazyjerseygirl because she says to stay away from chiropractors and I could. not. live. without mine! lol. Different strokes and all that.

The pain will get better but it may take a bit. Walking is one of the best things you can do for your back. When they tossed me in physical therapy it was walk, walk, walk. Occasionally they put me on a stationary bike.

I know in the height of my pain a TENS unit (you can find on Amazon fairly cheap, around $20 or so). I don't believe the "it releases endorphins to help you feel better" hype, but I do know it interrupts the pain signal to the brain so you aren't feeling the pain. THAT saved my bacon more times than not. I was actually able to work vs writhing around in bed in pain.
  • How is pushing a shopping cart... You might find some relief that way
  • I'll weigh in with those suggesting you consult with your back surgeon before starting an exercise. A ruptured disk doesn't heal itself, and how immobile depends on how badly it's ruptured. Strengthening your core sounds good, but you really don't want to cause nerve damage in the process. My mom had a ruptured disc, had surgery to stabilize her spine, didn't follow advice to lose weight, and 3 years later she ruptured the disk immediately above the surgery site. She's been flat on her back --in pain, cannot stand up-- since September 2014 in denial and wanting to avoid another surgery. Medicare made her have 3 steroid shots before approving surgery, and those were pretty pointless. Only 1-2 days relief at most. Really, one of those cases where insurance requirements do the patient more harm than good. Her surgery is in 2 weeks. She's in a really bad situation that she could have prevented by controlling her weight. Sorry for the scary story. Point is, how you manage your weight will have a big impact on how well you do. You can lose weight without exercise. Lots of people do. Best of luck!
  • I have two herniated discs in my neck. With cord impingement. So I have to be careful as can be. I don't have walking issues so I can do the treadmill, but I prefer water Zumba or water aerobics. I am forbidden from going to chiros, one wrong move and...

Your best bet would be to get a referral to a PT specializing in ortho issues. He/She can assist you in developing an exercise plan.
  • all good advice thank you. My ortho won't operate. He said I could wind up in more pain than now. Have done the cortisone injections, had about a months relief with each one. I just try to keep as mobile as possible. We have a two storied house so do alot of stair climbing. Have also done the round of Physo's, they didn't help so it just keep trying to drop the kilo's and keep moving as much as possible. Thanks everyone.
  • all good advice thank you. My ortho won't operate. He said I could wind up in more pain than now. Have done the cortisone injections, had about a months relief with each one. I just try to keep as mobile as possible. We have a two storied house so do alot of stair climbing. Have also done the round of Physo's, they didn't help so it just keep trying to drop the kilo's and keep moving as much as possible. Thanks everyone.

Your Ortho has given you good advice. Try yoga. It helped me tremendously.