Gluten Free?

If I had a choice- I'd stick to all the breads I was eating- but with my health, I can't. Yuck. But it's for the best!
What sort of things do you eat to help fill you up? I'm still relatively new to this change in my life, and I still have a hard time finding out what I can and can't eat.

Replies

• I absolutely cannot eat gluten (the consequences are heinous and long reaching) so I feel you on this. The past 5 years since I was diagnosed have taught me a lot about substitutions. Most days I go with what's naturally gluten free versus the pre-packaged stuff (which is high in fat and sugar a lot of the time).

Things that fill me up:
    -chickpeas
    -quinoa
    -rice
    -black beans (sauteed with chopped up red bell pepper, onion and sirrachia)
    -meats (chicken and ground beef or turkey)
    -seafood (fish and shrimp etc)
    -big *kitten* salads with chopped turkey and loads of veggies topped with avacado
    -stews/soups in the winter. To thicken put in potato or use a little cornstarch
    -eggs

What kind of things do you like to eat?
  • Oh, trust me, I let it slip once and I had a bite of something I wasn't supposed to and I was in bed for two days. It was awful!
    Right now, I'm mainly just trying anything with "gluten free" on the package. I eat a lot of fruit, eggs, almonds.
    I tried quinoa, but for some reason the kind I tried was extremely bitter. I must have bought a bad batch or something.
    I'm just having a hard time finding things that are filling. I'm an extremely light eater by nature, so it doesn't take a lot to get me full- but from what I have realized with gluten free is even though I get full rather quickly with what I am eating, I get hungry a lot sooner.
    Like, if I work, I'd like to eat something that can tied me over until the shift ends, you know?
  • Quinoa can be very bitter if it isn't rinsed several times before cooking. Did the brand you bought say that it was pre-washed? Also, have you tried lentils?
  • I love lentils! I need to eat them more.
    And I bought it prepackaged with some "garden blend" seasoning with it.
    I was told to try just plain quinoa. I guess the flavoring packet just wasn't good?
  • Sounds super odd but...
    Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake SUPER delicious and dense and filling.

Depending on what your job is/if there's a fridge etc veggies and hummus or rice crackers and hummus is a good snack. Cheese and ham or cheese and turkey for a snack. Or making up a batch of gf muffins to carry on hand. If you make sure you're eating something with high fiber and high protein that seems to help me with the staying full longer.
  • I've been gluten free for almost 2 years now. At first it's like your always hungry! I just had to buy healthy snacks to keep in the house and at work. I did stay away from pre packaged items that stated gluten free because they have more sugar in them. There were times I just craved junk and I had to give in. For breakfast I either had hard boiled eggs and bacon or made some type of breakfast hash I could heat up the next morning. String cheese is great bc it's convient and fast.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    I like quinoa too, I boil it with cayenne pepper and then put in back beans and canned corn. It's one of the only things I can make. I also add sautéed onions and some garlic.

I eat a lot of chicken and fish/mussels. I loooove eggs. Salads and steamed veggies are especially delicious. I also enjoy ground turkey with gluten-free spaghetti noodles and some fancy honey mustard dressing.

Good luck!
  • It takes a few days to a few weeks to adjust to going GF. Quinoa can be bitter unless it is pre-washed. Do it yourself or buy a package that says "Pre-Washed. Eat stuffed baked potatoes and other potato dishes while you are transitioning to your new lifestyle.
    If you want something easy in the morning, Rice Chex is gluten free and not too expensive.
  • Pretty much if you avoid processed foods you'll be ok! Easier said than done I know. I tend to stick to lean meats, like beef or chicken or fish, vegies, fruits and things like rice, kumara, canned beans and lentils, canned fish, and snacks are usually almonds or fruit or corn things with peanut butter, or yoghurt. There are lots of interesting grains to try like buckwheat, amaranth, different colored wild rices etc. Going gluten free didn't change my diet very much really because i ate that way for the most part anyway. You have to really read labels and research additives esp the 1400's, but it's amazing where gluten hides.

These days the only gf products I buy are sometimes gf bread (on the whole, gf bread isn't enjoyable and usually seems stale just because the gluten isn't there to make it soft and fluffy), very occasionally gf pasta, but I'm not a fan of it, and gf stock, but then i often just make my own, and gf weetbix. Everything else is just gluten free in its natural form. Oh and treats are usually gf chips or chocolate. Thankfully wine is gf as well
  • I've been Gluten free for 10 years and I'm a vegetarian. I find travelling really tough as the meal choices are really limited. I've learnt to be prepared ..... always.... I've become an avid label reader. I stick with lots of fruits and vegetables, beans, lentils, eggs and dairy. I'm doing pretty well now but its not the easiest lifestyle but the alternative is disastrous. If I slip up and eat Gluten I'm a nutbag and really ill. Trying to avoid processed foods and eliminate sugar as well. Conscientious eating is my only option!!!
  • Xanthan gum and non gluten flours and you can make most things
  • i've been grain free since feb 3 and I FEEL AMAZING. it started out as a 3-month experiment to fix my skin and sensitive gums and leaning out even more was just a bonus that i realized 3 weeks into this experiment.

my favorites are breads and pastas but going grain free means i can't eat that stuff so i make my own bread (paleo bread) which isn't bad but will do. the food prep is unreal when you go grain free since a lot of stuff contains grains (wheat, rice syrup, barley etc) so i make all of my breads using either flax seed or coconut flour and it's all paleo. i do not rely on these things to fill me up, though....i use proteins and healthy fats to do that.
  • I keep hearing so much about gluten free... I really need to try this!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gluten-Free-Quintessential-Quinoa-Cookbook/dp/162087699X

Seriously. I have this book and I've cooked most of the recipies out of it. Every one of them are super delicious and easy too cook.

I mean: Every. Single. One.

So yummy.

517WhPQds2L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ETA: It also has recipes for different types of flours, pizza dough, etc.
  • I keep hearing so much about gluten free... I really need to try this!

If you don't have a medical reason to avoid gluten, don't. It's an atrocious way to waste your money.