Any one trying to stop smoking?

Have been smoking on and off for the last 7 months after 10 years as a non-smoker. My plan is to start running for fitness so the smoking has to go too. I find it hard though as I seem to have replaced 'emotional eating' with 'emotional smoking'. Anyone else trying to kick the habit too?

Replies

• I'm not a smoker, but my husband quit a few months ago and feels great. I wish you luck!
  • Thanks, I'm finding it much harder 2nd time around.
  • Yeah I went through that. 5 years smoking, quit for a year, back on for 6 months, been clean for 2 more years now.

This will probably start some sort of huge health argument but... my vote is e-cigs. Maybe they'll kill you all the same but what I do know is that I've been using mine obsessively for 2 years and am able to play 3-5 soccer games a week without having any breathing troubles. I've helped over a dozen people make the switch and they're all thrilled that they did. If you've "tried it, didn't work" hit me up and I'll help you work through it. I was able to help my retired navy neighbor switch who'd been smoking 1-2packs/day since he was 15 (30 years of smoking). If he can do it, anyone can.
  • I have been smoking for nearly 20 years, tried to quit 3 times.
    This attempt is lasting since last september! The one (big) difference is that this time around I did not fool around and smoke a cigarette or two once in a while saying "I'm not addicted anymore I can" etc. Used to do that before (only with this beer during world cup, whatever).
    I also run now.
    Good luck. If it is important enough you will succeed, it is a matter of priorities.
    Oh and btw I also used nicotine chewing gum this time (for a few weeks), it was a LOT easier than without.
  • My father-in-law 100% successfully quit cold turkey (around 3 years ago) after saying he'd never quit, and being a 40+ year chain-smoker. A stroke will scare you like that. Rather than nicotine replacement, or a medication, he replaced cigarettes with cinnamon sticks. He still sometimes goes outside to have it, and he gets a lot of triple takes by stewardesses. It's funny how well it works for him. Best of luck.
  • elothen wrote: »
    Yeah I went through that. 5 years smoking, quit for a year, back on for 6 months, been clean for 2 more years now.

This will probably start some sort of huge health argument but... my vote is e-cigs. Maybe they'll kill you all the same but what I do know is that I've been using mine obsessively for 2 years and am able to play 3-5 soccer games a week without having any breathing troubles. I've helped over a dozen people make the switch and they're all thrilled that they did. If you've "tried it, didn't work" hit me up and I'll help you work through it. I was able to help my retired navy neighbor switch who'd been smoking 1-2packs/day since he was 15 (30 years of smoking). If he can do it, anyone can.

I've considered it and tried my son's a few times but it doesn't seem to do anything for me...no idea why. I definitely think it's psychological for me as I can go days without smoking when I'm with my boyfriend (ex-smoker and doesn't know I'm still smoking
  • bencze1 wrote: »
    I have been smoking for nearly 20 years, tried to quit 3 times.
    This attempt is lasting since last september! The one (big) difference is that this time around I did not fool around and smoke a cigarette or two once in a while saying "I'm not addicted anymore I can" etc. Used to do that before (only with this beer during world cup, whatever).
    I also run now.
    Good luck. If it is important enough you will succeed, it is a matter of priorities.
    Oh and btw I also used nicotine chewing gum this time (for a few weeks), it was a LOT easier than without.

Thanks...I'm determined to do it this time. I also think starting to run will help. I walk a lot (15 miles on a good walk) and I've found I'm getting breathless on the big hills which is a sure sign I'm in trouble.
  • I quit finally smoking for good about two years ago, and although it may not be a well-received method, it worked for me...I used e-cigarettes. So far it's the only thing that's helped, and it was nearly immediate. Once I found my holy grail liquids, I couldn't go back to tobacco. One night about 2 months after I started vaping, I tried my husband's tobacco cigarette and I nearly puked, it was horrible. I haven't looked back since.
  • elothen wrote: »
    Yeah I went through that. 5 years smoking, quit for a year, back on for 6 months, been clean for 2 more years now.

I had the same success, and I've just gotten my husband to finally quit using vaping as a substitute about 10 weeks ago. He's been smoking for 20+ years and this is the only way that he's been able to quit. Even Chantix didn't work for him, so I'm a huge supporter of e-cigarettes as a cessation product. I've been using them myself for about two years, and my lung and cardiovascular capacity seem to be better than ever!